Our mission

Anybody got any Mysids or Amphipods?

My mysid inventory has dwindled quickly and I need to feed my 8 hatchling cuttles (4 weeks old). I have an order coming Tuesday, but I may need to find some live food in the interim. I don't think they will eat anything much bigger than 1/2".

1) I was thinking about trying to collect some fresh water mysis from a local lake, but not sure how well that will go. Matt Wandell gave me a few tips on collecting from Lake Merced at night.
2) Another options is to go the shore somewhere. Maybe in Alameda? and try to find some small critters there as well. Not sure.
3) Another option is to just feed them frozen. I have been training them on frozen and I have seen a few cuttles eat the frozen here and there, but most of the frozen ones are going uneaten. Maybe a little hunger would encourage them?

I have some amphipods in my filter socks, but not sure if I will need to supplement. If someone had an inventory available, it would be nice to know I have a backup. I think i am OK until Sunday.

Careful with harvesting amphipods. Once brought out of water, they tend to get air in their carapace and thus they float :(

Do you have plankton sieves?

could work, but you'd also get a ton of other junk. Its best to size your sieve to what you want to collect. But hey, reefing on a budget, pantyhose should be in your tool box. Hell, we use them at RMI!

Back