Jestersix

Anyone DIY Penductors for Sea Swirls??

I did two of em on a 210, they work well.
I have one in the back on the right (like in the pics), and one on the left on a sea swirl
below is my diy pics and info:

I wanted to keep the internal powerheads to a minimum, so I started doing some research on Eductors. After finding a couple different versions of these online, I came up with my own Idea on how to DIY them.

I am actually getting sand to ripple on the opposite end of the tank...lol

I have one at each end, the test below was done with only one pump on.

To Build you only need is 4 pieces, and a Dremmel.
A grinding tip, and a saw tip (and prolly some gloves...lol)

Ok pictures are worth a thousand words.
So Please post Questions / Comments,
Anything is open game.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Pic above Light was pushed back for tank access, reason for color difference.

Also the test pics above were done with only the one pump on.
AND the longer its on the farther the bubbles make it around the tank, it sort of causes a smooth moving whorlpool effect. The bubbles dont really show the full extent of the power, as they decrease the pump efficiency, and actuallt since the flow/blast reaches 8' all of the bubbles drift up before they make it around the corner, and back down the front of the tank.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

making the arm spans part is a little easier to cut out than it looks.

1- Slice down the sides, right along the outside of the "future" arm spans. all the way down the piece.

2- slice around the body on the outside at the base of the recess, (loostening one side of the piece to use)

3- hone out threads (easier when still together)

4- slice inside the was threaded area, and the filler pieces will fall away, leaving the piece on the left in the picture.

Glue it so its just on the edge of the tube piece (basically putting the nozzle right in the middle

release the pieces after glueing and BAM your Done!!

08.jpg

final part after glue and assembly:
detail-01.jpg

detail-02.jpg

detail-03.jpg

pic to show my alignment, to make it clearer
detail-04.jpg

hope that helps

Nice DIY!

I bought non DIY's for 25 bucks each.

I might be a little worried about them on Sea Swirls because they put back pressure on the line, and IIRC, the SS's have a friction fit on the moving side.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=4639.msg66493#msg66493 date=1228060002]
Nice DIY!

I might be a little worried about them on Sea Swirls because they put back pressure on the line, and IIRC, the SS's have a friction fit on the moving side.
[/quote]

Not to mention SS aren't really suitable for that high of flow. Not only does it put pressure from simply moving more water but it also pushes back on that joint. IIRC it voids the SS warranty as well.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=4639.msg66493#msg66493 date=1228060002]
Nice DIY!

[/quote]

When I set that tank up originally, there werent any available for that price :( and the tank itself, not to mention the Live rock in one purchase bout broke the owner....lol
The ones I made were temporary, and really made as a "what if i did this"...sort of thing, but left them on since they seemed to work well.
the design I have has a slight restriction, not sure how much compared to "factory made ones".

The SS on there seems not to mind to much so far. Its been running 24/7 for easily over 1 year.
Is there a way to check for wear, in the area you are talking about?
Thanks for the heads up !!

Back