Jestersix

Anyone get an absurdly high PG&E bill?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Not sure if this is a billing error, or a San Francisco thing since the city automatically opted in EVERYONE in the city for their "CleanSF" power program, but my bill is way through the f*ing roof, like 3+ times higher than and it should be. And of course the PDF version of my bill online is "not available at this time" so it leaves me a case of WTFs.

I ask because my wife said in one of her facebook mommy groups there are hundreds experiencing the same thing.

We only have pg&e for gas. Only things in the house that use gas is the hot water heater and furnace.

Our bill went from $43 last month and was $108 this month. Gas usage was almost identical.

PG&E is being held liable for $30billion in damages for the Camp Fire. They filed for bankruptcy protection that allows them to jack up rates for customers. The CEO also resigned recently as people are pushing for criminal charges being filed for the deaths related to the fire.

Before we switched to solar it jumped from $250ish to $500 then to $857. They said it was my reef tanks. I said they’ve been up and running so that’s not it

mine went from like $100 to $120 this month. So 20% but didn't they get an approved rate hike last year?

Yeah, I only pay for gas (and the $5/month or whatever electrical hookup due to solar), and my gas bill went from $50/month to $250. Looking at the usage bars (something that it does show) it's only shows $70 worth of gas used, so I'm just curious about this, doubly so since it won't let me look at the PDF.

So Camp fire lawsuits means we gotta pay off those people? Excuse my french... but fuck that shit.

Ok after a bit of digging I see the gas part is $90 and the electricity is $160, which is odd because I have solar and have a true up date instead. Stupid San Francisco and their CleanSF garbage.

Oh my I’m not the only one.
Last month my home was $250ish while my business jumped to $450 wow PG&E is still getting everyone’s money while we are the ones actually paying for their mistakes with incremental rate hikes. I have just ordered a kill a watt power strip to start to crack down on my usage and see what each item I am using is costing me. Best of luck to everyone with this issue we are losing an ongoing battle day by day. When my reef tank at home is costing my around $100 per month and going up, how do I control costs?
Equipment upgrades to more efficient pumps or lights? Run my skimmer in a timer mode on my Apex 12 hours a day instead of 24? [emoji848] what to do?
Any and all suggestions welcome, setting up solar in my rental properties is not an option unfortunately.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004OG94VW/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my I’m not the only one.
Last month my home was $250ish while my business jumped to $450 wow PG&E is still getting everyone’s money while we are the ones actually paying for their mistakes with incremental rate hikes. I have just ordered a kill a watt power strip to start to crack down on my usage and see what each item I am using is costing me. Best of luck to everyone with this issue we are losing an ongoing battle day by day. When my reef tank at home is costing my around $100 per month and going up, how do I control costs?
Equipment upgrades to more efficient pumps or lights? Run my skimmer in a timer mode on my Apex 12 hours a day instead of 24? [emoji848] what to do?
Any and all suggestions welcome, setting up solar in my rental properties is not an option unfortunately.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004OG94VW/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they dont actually check your income. so could look into this.

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...MI1oOVlsmZ4AIVCh6tBh0FOAHNEAAYASAAEgJNIfD_BwE

Hmmm. Not a bad suggestion at all.
I may do just that. Thank you for the suggestion [emoji106]

I throw up every time I open my bill...and I get a commercial rate
It’s disgusting!
I dint see much difference when I switched from 3500watts of MH to 12 kessil 360 and 10 160

I’m still paying!!!

Ok after a bit of digging I see the gas part is $90 and the electricity is $160, which is odd because I have solar and have a true up date instead. Stupid San Francisco and their CleanSF garbage.
When you use an energy generation company other than PGE like what you described being opted into, they usually partially true up every month rather than entirely after 12 months like PGE does, which would explain your bill. You still may also get a yearly true up covering PGE fixed costs like transmission.

If it’s not clear, you should just call PGE or CleanPowerSF or do some more investigating online before assuming the most nefarious scenario. PGE is regulated so they can’t just charge whatever they want randomly one month to the next.

When you use an energy generation company other than PGE like what you described being opted into, they usually partially true up every month rather than entirely after 12 months like PGE does, which would explain your bill. You still may also get a yearly true up covering PGE fixed costs like transmission.

If it’s not clear, you should just call PGE or CleanPowerSF or do some more investigating online before assuming the most nefarious scenario. PGE is regulated so they can’t just charge whatever they want randomly one month to the next.

They are regulated but they lobby quite big figure$$$

For those reefers in Alameda county, I hope you all are aware that we will be switched automatically to a new provider (if you haven't been already), East Bay Community Energy. Solar panel users be sure you understand what you're getting into. EBCE does trueup for “generation” each month while PG&E will still bill you for “distribution” once a year at trueup. There is an option to opt-out, if you would like to stay with PG&E.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/11/13/new-energy-provider-begins-this-month-in-alameda-county/
https://ebce.org/
https://ebce.org/opt-out/

Thanks John, yeah looking at the SF program it does seem that they switch you to a monthly instead of a yearly schedule, they claim it's identical, but I'll have to see.

Man I wish battery technology was more affordable, the way PG&E is going solar just gets more and more affordable, if I had a reliably cheap way to store power I'd throw a few more kilowatts on my roof myself, and load up the garage with batteries and tell PG&E to pound sand and yank the wire to my house.

I get the frustration and loss of others whether it's wildfires or gas line explosions, but I wish they'd realize that lawsuits do nothing against the company that they are suing because there are no other options for power since PG&E is literally a monopoly and they simply raise rates as necessary. So I feel for the Camp fire victims but they're basically suing the rest of the electrical users in northern California, not PG&E

Back