Our mission

Anyone have a killawat in Southbay? Having skimmer issues.

Brand new xp-3000 pump is acting up. While it is running, it seems like the pump switches off an on very quickly, like a split second. This was happening every 5 to 10 seconds on friday when i set it up and saturday. On Monday it seemed to be doing it less but it was stil happening. I'm hoping it is just part of the break in period but wanted to see how much power the pump is pulling incase I need to not let it run at all. Joe at aquatic collection has been very helpful so far and working on gettin me a replacement pump but for the meantime want to know if its a good idea to keep it running.

how deep is the pump? If a pump is too deep in the water it could have a much harder time pulling in air and give "gasps" of bubbles, assuming that's what you mean by turning on and off every split second. If you mean the propeller it self stops spinning, that should not happen, and I personally wouldn't run the pump since there's an obvious defect with it.

water level its in is 6". I had it in 6.5" but it did the same thing. Its hard to explain........It happens so fast. You can kind of see it from the intake. It looks like air stops getting sucked in for a split second and kicks back on. Turning it on and off super fast every 5 to 10 seconds was the best way I can explain it.

I would let the pump break in. I had the exact same thing happen with my SRO 3000-XP pump. The pump would "surge" and did that for about 2 months. It works fine now.

As a side note, I was told the pump was "dead silent" and I couldn't disagree more. The skimmer works great now and my wife hasn't said a word about the noise so I'm good. But I wouldn't market the pump as silent.

Back