got ethical husbandry?

Anyone have a Sicce pump on their protein skimmer?

I just got an SWC200 with a Sicce PSK-2500 pump and my gosh the thing is freaking LOUD! I thought my ER with the sedra was loud but this thing is like air pump loud. Do I just need to let it break in for awhile? If it's this noise continues I'll need to find a replacement skimmer. :(

I've got an MSX 300 with 2 sicce pumps. Mine are pretty quiet, but maybe that's just becuase there is so much other noise in the tank. are you running a needle wheel or mesh mod?
Is the pump/skimmer functioning properly - but its just loud? Or is the pump "knocking" and not pulling a lot of air?

ditto w/ 2 on my BM250. Loud... I think if anything the loud is the sound of the air being sucked in... however yeah if I turn my skimmer off my whole fish room area becomes kind of eerily quiet.

I have two on my MSX 250 skimmer.
They were noisy at first.
It took them a while to break in and quiet down but now they are quiet.
Try turning it sideways or upside down.

How noisy is noisy? If my wife kicked me out of our bedroom and I slept on the couch I would need earplugs. :( When I woke up this morning it reminded me of a gas engine RC car. That's how loud this pump is. The thing is just about as loud as my Mag24 that I rarely use for pumping water upstairs.

I'm using the pinwheel and found a scrap of plastic in there but everything else looked ok. I tried turning the pump sideways and get the same result.

I couldn't stand the sound so put back my ER back in. I'm gonna see if Custom Aquatic can send me a new pump.

After listening to these 2 videos on Youtube I can tell you that my pump is way louder than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFdmyDq52Wk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC1WK-qPnnY&feature=related

tuberider said:
Do you have a silencer on your air intake? If not they're easy to make and they help a ton.

It's got a silencer but I don't think it's for the intake. This is the model I have.

UPDATE: Just talked to Custom Aquatic and they said this appears to be a common issue with the Sicce pumps. Told me to break it in for 2 weeks and see what happens. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the sound dies off. :~

Well I moved the skimmer and pump in all different directions and got it to a bearable hum.

Now my question. I noticed that the pump is threaded on the intake side. Is it possible to run the drain directly into it? Is that a bad idea?

sfboarders said:
Well I moved the skimmer and pump in all different directions and got it to a bearable hum.

Now my question. I noticed that the pump is threaded on the intake side. Is it possible to run the drain directly into it? Is that a bad idea?

John,
I think it will quiet down for you but mine took more than two weeks to get quiet.
What do you mean by the drain?

I direct the flow from the overflow to the pump intake of the skimmer, so far so good and I'm happy with the result.
If you had a recirculating skimmer I think you could feed it straight from the overflow

xcaret said:
I direct the flow from the overflow to the pump intake of the skimmer, so far so good and I'm happy with the result.
If you had a recirculating skimmer I think you could feed it straight from the overflow

Forcing water into a pump is a bad idea, but removing the feed pump and using your return can work. You'd just need to tune that amount entering the skimmer.

JAR said:
It's been more than two weeks.
How is the noise level of the Sicce pump?

It's ok I guess. This pump is weird. Last week it was pretty quiet but this week it seems like the sound picked up a lil more. Not really loud but a noticeable hum. I also noticed that even the water level plays a roll on the noise this thing puts out. It's ok. Not super loud like when I first got it.

Back