Anyone know where I can buy big pieces of driftwood?

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Elite, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Elite

Elite Guest

Yeah those stuff are expensive ::) ..

I will look into manzanita... thanks guys!

2. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Just have your kids make a popsicle stick sculpture for your herp tank. The weather is hot now so it's perfect.

They'll have tons of fun :D

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Btw, there's an 800g tank for sale in SJ. If you could just drop it off in Alameda for me, that would be great. Thanks!

:D

4. Elite

Elite Guest

popsicle stick huh... the tank is 24x24x24. That will be A LOT of sticks :D ..

hehehe.. if you buy it I will deliver it to you.. ;D

5. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Do they have popsicles at Costco? Better start now :D

Ok, I'll buy the tank. It's in this guy's 3rd floor apartment. Just take your time getting it down the stairs. Shouldn't be too bad.

I'll get you a couple popsicles for your troubles :D

6. Elite

Elite Guest

I will just have him toss it down from the bacony. I think the club has enough ICgel to put it back together. Easier to transfer too ;D..

7. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Get some extra IC gel.

If you have 5000 popsicle sticks, you can make this:

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/cimg0012.png

:D

8. Elite

Elite Guest

wow that thing is cool.. :eek:

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

That would look great in your living room :D

I'm sure the frogs and geckos would love it too :D

10. Elite

Elite Guest

11. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

OK, so say you go down to the coast and pick up a big piece of driftwood. What would you have to do to "decontaminate" it? I'm sure that it will have stuff that you don't want in your tank (maybe oil spill residue, etc!)

V

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=4472.msg54504#msg54504 date=1220638145]
    OK, so say you go down to the coast and pick up a big piece of driftwood. What would you have to do to "decontaminate" it? I'm sure that it will have stuff that you don't want in your tank (maybe oil spill residue, etc!)

V

[/quote]Be careful about where you go to get it, you can get in big trouble for that.

13. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Really? For driftwood? I always considered it beach debris, but I suppose some (big agency) might consider it a natural environment or habitat for something.

The CA coast is huge and there are many accessible beaches along it. I'm just saying that if you are there and happen to pick up a (legal) piece of nice driftwood...would you have to soak it or "cook" it somehow?

I'm out of the FW game now. No time for it with the reef tank taking up whatever time my kids and wife let me have. But I do still appreciate the beauty of a a nice planted tank (and the low relative cost/maintenance!!!!!)

V

14. iani

iani Guest

You really don't want to get anything that you might find along the coast. If it "drifted" on to shore its probably a soft wood anyway. Also imagine all the contaminants it would have, our water up here isn't very clean.

15. Elite

Elite Guest

I don't think you can take anything anyway.. kinda like sand ...

I just ordered some pieces from manzanita.com. Thanks Ian.. Hopefully they are nice pieces :) ..

16. iani

iani Guest

Cool, what did you order?

17. Elite

Elite Guest

http://manzanita.com/aqwood.htm

AP1 - 12 pieces..

The guy I talked on the phone said all the pieces are 1'-2' long. He will give me a nice center piece. 8)

18. iani

iani Guest

Nice, how much was shipping? People on the planted forums have ordered from that place a lot. Always good reviews.

19. Elite

Elite Guest

about $10 for shipping..

20. Hey Phong I have a some what small box of Manzanita drift wood, I think they are medium sized. It's been awhile since I looked in it but I think they range between 10-20" each let me know if you are interested I will take a couple of pictures for you tomorrow after work.

Mark