Anyone know where to get these clean up crew critters locally?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by neuro, Jun 1, 2014.

1. neuro

neuro Webmaster

I'm looking for cerith (regular and dwarf) snails, blue & red hermits, and of course turbo snails.

Wondering if anyone has seen these lately. I don't see the dwarf cerith snails often.

2. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

I've seen ceriths & turbos at ReefRaft.

They have a lot of reef safe red hermits too (not the bright red leg ones)

3. Devon

Devon Guest

Give Aquatic collection a call. They seem to always have a good amount of clean up crew on hand.

4. neuro

neuro Webmaster

thanks guys, i was at reef raft but i couldn't remember what kind of snails they had. havne't seen any at aquatic collection in a while.

too bad reef raft isn't open on mondays

5. Spoon

Spoon Guest

I just bought a couple Red Legged hermits at ReefRaft a week ago..pickings was very very slim. It seems that the only hermits available are the brown legged ones. And all LFS have hundreds of them. :/

I've been hunting for Blue Legged, and Hawaiian Zebra as well, with no luck. You will be the first to know when I find something.

6. neuro

neuro Webmaster

thanks, definitely looking for blue legged. I think my last blue legged ones were from aqua exotic. I would prefer to get them all at once place if possible.

7. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

You might want to call Baja Reef (Union City) and see what kind of hermits they have in. I know they've had the blue and red leg ones in the past.

Spoon and neuro like this.
  8. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

Neptune had blue and red leg hermits a few weeks ago. I also got nassarius from them. I'm sure they would have cerith as well...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. neuro

neuro Webmaster

i'm actually thinking of ordering them online now. reefs2go has free-shipping on a few of their packs, and considering the discounted prices online (not to mention no-tax), it may be a no brainer.

Nav likes this.
  10. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Alfred, I've heard reefcleaners.org has better quality? It's free shipping on $50+ for priority mail...

I'm also planning to order soon for my upcoming 40B. If timing works out, we can order together and split ;)

neuro likes this.
  11. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

Just a heads up that I've heard really awful things about Reefs2Go over on NR. Unfulfilled orders, DOAs that never get refunded or replaced, ongoing paypal and credit card disputes, and some very sketchy stuff with unsecure credit card information.

I'd definitely go with Reef Cleaners if I were you. If you buy one of their packs, then you get free shipping. They always send lots of extras too, which is nice.

neuro and Nav like this.
  12. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I'll chime in here to, if you do order a "pack" make sure it has what you want in it, not that it matches the size of your tank. It boggles my mind sometimes how many snails and what not they throw into these packages, something like 100 snails for a 40 gallon tank? Nutso. JMNSHO :)

neuro likes this.
  13. georgec

georgec Guest

If you're ever in SF, Steve at Lucky Ocean usually has blue legs and turbos.

I haven't seen ceriths. Not what you're looking for, but he usually also has emerald crabs, nassarius, fighting conchs and your usually Astraea

neuro likes this.
  14. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

I'll chime in here with a thumbs down for Reefcleaners. I got leaking bags, snails with no water, stinky yuckie bags. The packing looked like it was done by a disgruntled chimp.

I know Felicia has had good experiences with them so maybe I just got unlucky!

neuro likes this.
  15. neuro

neuro Webmaster

Wh0ah! Thanks guys. I had a bad experience with reefcleaners also, so I was hoping reefs2go would be a good substitute... Also because reefs2go has the turbo snails I wanted. I'm so glad I mentioned it, thanks @FeliciaLynn

Man I'm stuck now. @Navdeep I'll let you know, but I'm not sure I'm going to order anytime in the near future.

16. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I always go trochus over turbo these days btw.

neuro likes this.
  17. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Collection usually has trochus, just ask, they usually pull them out of the coral flats I think.

neuro likes this.
  18. bluprntguy

bluprntguy Webmaster

It's kind of disappointing that there isn't a single place in the whole Bay Area (population 7,150,739) where you can get all these critters in one place.

I've had good experiences with reefcleaners, except for the fact that I ordered 12 dwarf ceriths and received 150 dwarf ceriths. However, he only sells FL local critters, so no turbos.

I was just facing the same predicament, and decided that I was just going to do a liveaquaria order as they were the only place where I could get everything I wanted in one spot.

neuro likes this.
  19. tr1gger

tr1gger Keyboard Cowboy

Steve in Daly City has everything CUC you could want and for about 1/2 price of the LFS's.

20. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Steve who, and where?