Anyone need sediment/carbon filters?

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by sfsuphysics, May 25, 2008.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I just noticed green stuff on one end of my membrane, so ordered that, but also needed replacement pre-filters. So ordered a case of 50 sediment filters (should be 1 & 5 micron unless they screw it up) and a case of 20 MatrikX + CTO/2 carbon filters. So I doubt I'll go through all of those in a timely manner, so I figure I'd share the wealth of me buying in bulk with some BAR members.

Don't know price yet, I'll wait until they show up and I see the invoice, but unless I did some wrong math it looks like I can do $2 per sediment filter and $8 each on the carbon, or 2 for $15 :D However I don't put those in prices in stone, I still need to wait for them to arrive.

However if people are interested chime up in a most non-committal way , because if 20 people want carbon filters, 20 people ain't gonna get carbon filters (I'm keeping some too! :D)

2. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

I am in for a couple of each as long as they will fit with my unit.

3. sfsuphysics

They should, they're standard 10" sized ones

4. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Make sure you get the correct sizing micron size wise l

5. sfsuphysics

Well the sediment should be 5 & 1 micron sizes, 25 of each, I've always gone 5 micron on the sediment filter, but I'm thinking of doing a 5 and a 1 just to save a little gunk build up on the carbon filter.

The big thing that got me was the "algae" growth on the RO membrane, I mean sheesh there was no light there what so ever.

6. seminolecpa

I will. The ones that come standard on the Spectra Pure I find tend to clog up after less then a month. I went with a little larger micron and viola. The TDS in my area is really low (like 20)

7. stubbsz

stubbsz Guest

Mike, I'll take two of each. I'm in San Jose, so picking up is going to be a pain. I guess the next Bar Meet will work assuming you will be there.

-Adrian

8. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

I'll take 2 sets of 1micron sediment and carbon.

9. stubbsz

stubbsz Guest

Should I be taking the 1 micron size too, Perry. I'm San Jose too, pretty high TDS on my inbound water.
    -Adrian

10. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

TDS is 265ppm in my area. My original filter was .5micron so, 1 micron is just 1/2 closer to .5.

11. sfsuphysics

The smaller the size, the faster it'll clog if you have really dirty water. In SF I've run with a 5 micron with good success, however all my pipes have recently been changed out to copper, so there's not the gunk of galvanized steel to go through the filters. However what comes from the street is anyone's guess.

Personally I think 0.5 micro is way overkill for particulate matter. I doubt you'll have half microsized dust particles (FYI about as small as dust gets) inside your water floating freely. That's almost HEPA levels of filtering!

12. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

.5┬Ál will filter all your blood cells out, right?

13. Apon

Apon Volunteer

FYI _ we have a new sponsor for this stuff coming in soon. :) Just thought I would let you know.

14. sfsuphysics

Yup, half a micron will filter out red blood cells, white blood cells on the other hand 5 microns will filter those out! They're fat suckers.

Cool Arnold, this was not meant to be a group buy in any way, I just ordered in bulk, because I didn't want to order just one or two, and the intermediate quantites just weren't doing it for me price wise. They're coming from SoCal, just wish they'd send me a tracking number for it already, after Sunday I won't be back until late Wednesday.

15. sfsuphysics

Ok got the filters, and my cost to you is pretty much what I paid for them including shipping, with some minor adjustment because I don't want to have a pocketful of change on me :D

And luckily for you I miscalculated the carbon filters earlier I added the cost of my RO membrane in that (and I'm not going to pass that cost on to anyone... well unless you ever gave me montipora nudibranchs!)

So Sediment filters 1micron and 5 micron sizes, standard 10". $2 each, or 2 for $3 (this is where the pocket full of change comes in). I'll have 10 available at each size. (as they do the brunt of the work removing "gunk")
    Carbon filters $6 each, these are 5 micron size, Matrikx + CTO /2 rated at 6000 gallons, etc.
    http://www.harmsco.com/pdf/KX%20Matrikx%20CTO-2%20Carbon.pdf Here's a data sheet if you're curious about the "hype" (to me they're carbon filters :D) 10 available of these as well.

So Bryan, Adrian & Perry get first dibs from the 10 of each type/size of filter (5um, 1um sediment, 5um carbon)
    Unfortunately I don't plan on going to the next meeting, so we'll have to figure out some other way to get filters to you (and money back to me!). However if you absolutely need them if someone from SF is going to the meeting and wants to drop them off for me cool, if not we can work something else out (however as gas prices are going up, I'm not delivering unless you have something I'm going to pick up from you)

16. seminolecpa

I can get from you later will be out of pocket till early July.

17. fishnfst

fishnfst Guest

Hey Mike I'm in for a set of 1 each if there are enough available... I work about 10 minutes from your place. Sometimes closer.. Let me know..

18. sfsuphysics

good to go, still got my number? Just give me a call to make sure I"m home and swing on by whenever.

19. stubbsz

stubbsz Guest

Mike, I'm going to go to the meeting, can you get the filters to anyone near you who will be going if you aren't going yourself?

20. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

I'll be at the meeting too.