High Tide Aquatics

Anyone point me to good info on the different types of “chalice corals”?

Coral reefer

Past President
I know there are several different types of what we commonly call chalices. Mycedium? Robbokaki? Lamelosa? Echinata? Etc... I’m sure I’m misspelling those but hopefully you get the point? Anyone got a link to a good article or a book recommendation? @Kensington Reefer maybe? @fishdoctor? I really like these corals a lot, but don’t really know much about them. Some seem to take a lot of light while others look best with less light. Some encrust. While other will plate out. Some look bumpy...I’d like to understand what I am seeing and how it relates to what these corals actually are.
I’m sure I could google around, but I’d prefer to be fed a good source. I’d like to avoid a non productive rabbit hole type search. Thanks!

Im not sure on their scientific names but I see mine enjoy a much lower full. I had them in a high flow tank and they never seem to do much. Lower flow and I’m seeing much more growth. All of my chalices are at sand level

Ahh, Chalices, the "Pectiniidae" family of stony corals. Or not.
The entire family was removed only around 8 years back, when they found out it was all wrong.
Which generally makes a lot of old reference books and corals also wrong.
Another reason I totally gave up on coral naming.

Good luck! It sounds interesting, and if you end up writing a book on that, I might buy it.

I finally found a little info, on gold chalices...

https://reefbuilders.com/2019/06/18/welcome-to-gold-chalice-central/

“Most Indonesian chalices are Echinophyllia aspera as most Australian one are E. orpheensis. “...

Says Echinophyllia orpheensis live in crevices, mostly 60’ deep, “Echinophyllia Chalices are a cryptic coral which live deep; deep in the water but more importantly deep into the reef. They rely on scraps; scraps of light, scraps of flow, and scraps of food. So when they are given plenty of each of these, which is what we try to do in our aquariums, they tend to do pretty well. They grow faster, color up, with very low light, moderate flow, and regular feeding.”

Back