got ethical husbandry?

Anyone use Lanthanum Chloride?

neuro

Webmaster
The latest TOTM on Reefcentral mentions using Foz Down, which is lanthanum chloride.. he's using this in place of media like GFO to reduce phosphates.

I would love to use something like this instead of constantly changing out and tumbling my GFO... which has always been a pain in the ass to maintain. It's never consistently tumbling the same way for me.

Anyone try this before?

I used it in the process of curing my liverock but i dont dose it into my tank.

I think i remember hearing gimmito say he doses lanthanum chloride.

When you dose it theres a precipitate.

Everything I've read said that it's very effective at binding and removing phosphate, but that makes it dangerous to use. If you overdose, you can easily strip 100% of the phosphate and shock the ecosystem and corals. However, some folks seem to have the rigor to dose carefully and use it without harm. I've always been a bit too wary to use it.

I only change my GFO media every 2 months or so, carbon every month - so I don't mind it. Also the TLF reactors are pretty easy to clean.

I wouldn't use it if you're planning on having surgeonfish as it has been shown to induce head and lateral line disease. I've read that it is limited to surgeons, but I would think that it would extend to angels as well. If you're not planning on adding these fish I'd say go for it, but as @wpeterson said it is pretty easy to overdose since it's used in such small amounts... so be careful!

I dose LC (SeaKlear brand). 5ml in a 1 gal jug over a period of a few days. It has kept phosphates at 0.25 or less. As mentioned above be careful because it is potent stuff. I have 4 zebrasomas, many other tangs, and two angels with no I'll effects.

I was going to try it but have had good luck with Brightwells Phosphat-E (you can even cut the dose by mixing 50/50 with RODI water)....I heard one of the keys is to dose it into your overflow that will drop into your filter sock, and watch your filter sock as it can get clogged faster when dosing LC as this is where it collects to be removed.

i've heard most of what you guys mentioned. thanks for all of your input! I'll be coming to a few of you if I decide to jump this way.

I did a phosphate check today, and it's at 0. Getting to that 0 isn't as easy for me as it's probably for @wpeterson .. i've been running into issues that require a lot of upkeep and maintenance.

Back