Reef nutrition

Anyone use mini wet-dry shopvac for spills?

After my dishwasher broke and spewed gallons of water all over my kitchen, and of course, the inevitable RO water leaks/ overflows .... I decided to look at some small wet-dry vacs.

I saw a few on Amazon, and I do actually have a larger shop-vac I use in my ... shop, but it's large and cumbersome.

Anyone used one of these? Looking at different brands. They seem to run around $40, and after the dozens of kitchen moppings I've done, I'm ready to buy one.

V

maxresdefault.jpg

I use the bucket head from home depot. Only downside is it only sucks out about 3 gallons before the auto shutoff turns on.

But I mainly use it to clean out detritus mountains from my sump. So it works great.

However, lately I haven't used the bucket head since its much easier to stick my mj1200 in my sump to pump detritus out.

Why would I care about pods in my tank? All my fish eat pellets/frozen food :)

Copepods can have population booms and collapses but every single reef tank has pods. Doesn't matter if you dip your corals, liverock, snails in concentrated bayer, iodine, coral rx, You will end up with pods whether you like them or not.

FYI, the buckethead is great, but watch out for the siphoning effect even when it's off. It will continue to siphon if the bucket is lower than the body of water.

Update: (Thanks for the tip Enderturtle! Thanks to the others too for their suggestions)

I picked up the buckethead. It's pretty good, I like it! And yes, you must be careful that after you suck up water, you point the hose skyward and slightly tile the bucket so that any trapped water doesn't spill back out the hose when you shut it off.

I highly recommend it to everyone for those spills and floods. My RO unit has been dripping (and damaging) my under-sink cabinet. This thing sure beats mopping it out with a towel and sqeezing out the towel (repeat 20 times).

I don't know if I'd use it for water changes, but for this, it's definitely worth the $21 it costs! (And of course we all have 5 gallon buckets up the wazoo)

V

OH YEAH - picking up a Buckethead this weekend for my classroom. Thought we had finally gotten a handle on our water-on-the-floor issues after placing plankton culture buckets in water heater pan, getting better mop, another big towel, reviewing back siphon 100 times, but no. Getting this product this weekend.

Back