Kessil

Anyonve have a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX to borrow?

Should've actually asked this earlier, but anyone have one they can lend? I have a brand new one in hand, but not too sure if I really want to pull the plug. I'll be taking it to Costa Rica, so you can hold on to the new one as collateral. Southbay only.

Mitch: it might be a little much to ask to borrow a lens that you have already bought for a trip to costa rica. If it was to just test out for a day or something that would be fine, but it's a risk that you might damage someone else's lens on a trip. Also, new copies of lenses aren't always better. Sometimes lenses come out with different amounts of sharpness, usually negligible, but nevertheless the promise of a new lens for that amount of time, not including taking it to a trip is big to ask for.

For me, I usually am 100% sure what I'm going to use a lens for by the time I have it in my shopping cart. If you're on the fence about any equipment, it's probably best to either rent it or go on a shoot with a friend and borrow it for a few shots.

Anyway, I know you don't mean any harm, but there's probably a very very slim chance someone would eagerly let you borrow the lens on a trip.

There's also borrowlenses.com in the south bay, they're pretty good with decent prices.

Heh, yeah I figured as much. It was just a shot in the dark. Turns out I really do love the lens. Costa Rica was a amazing, I'll be tossing pics up in the next month or 3??

Pros (f/2 over the f/1.8): balances better (weighs more and feels like a lens; not plasticky), faster focusing, sharp wide open. I tested three 35mm f/1.8 just to make sure.

This applies also for the 50mm f/1.4D vs. the newer 50mm f/1.4D AFS. The 50mm f/1.4D AFS was sharp wide open, but the feel and the focusing was still slower than the older 50mm f/1.4D (Japan).

Back