Jestersix

Ap700 into LED fixture

Hi guys and gals,

Seeking advice regarding adding t5 to my lighting. I've been contemplating all the different ways I could add t5 to my current ap700s. It's a 5 foot tank.

I've been considering buying a used ati sunpower fixture and placing the ap700s in the middle, leaving out 2-3 bulbs. That way I get the kessil shimmer and reduce shadowing in the tank.

Will this work out well? Without having the fixture in front of me, I can't be sure, but I don't see why. How many bulbs would I need to leave out in a 6 bulb or 8 bulb fixture? I'd like to have 4 bulbs, but would be ok with 1 in the back and 2 in the front. The Ap700 is 6.4in wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say retrofit some T5s in there around the AP700s, but then I remember you don't have a hood over your system, so things need to "look nice"

But if you're considering hanging the T5 fixed on top of the Kessil and just leaving out the middle bulbs... not sure I would do that. How wide is the tank again? You could always get a 4 bulb fixture as those are about 10" wide, and if you angle it a bit in front of the Kessil you could get some fairly bright light. Not sure how I would mount that though.

Yeah I've considered building a sleek looking canopy but nothing will look as good as the ap700. Arg. Guess nothing is perfect. Will reconsider lighting in the future, maybe with the new tank :)...one day...

Why do you guys feel the need for t5s with the kessils? Should be plenty of light and good spread no? Spectrum?

I didn't -- until I set up my frag tank with an ATI T5. With the Kessil's I get nice growth on all LPS and a few SPS if they are placed just right, but nothing compared to the growth under the ATI's frankly. I have actually removed all the SPS from my DT and filled it in with more LPS because of that difference. I love my Kessil's. My tanks in my living room and it makes for an absolutely breath-taking (when it's all clean) display, but for SPS I would go a different route.

Why do you guys feel the need for t5s with the kessils? Should be plenty of light and good spread no? Spectrum?
My answer is different from Bruce's. I want to grow SPS like weeds but am unable to, so I self-sooth my frustration by purchasing more tank gear to help me grow my non-existent SPS better. Make sense?

But more seriously most great SPS tanks I've seen run some T5. Not all. And of course LED can grow great SPS. Just saying that I see T5 in those SPS tanks more often.

Back