Jestersix

Apex on a beginner tank? Yay or nay?

I had two dummy mistake this week and my apex shut things down and emailed me. Good thing I was home to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I saw that deal...almost makes me pull the trigger. If only I wasn't so freaking cash poor these days! The auto water changing thing seems pretty cool w the dos pump. I eventually want to set one up to feed a qt tank at a fast enough rate that I wouldn't need biological filtration on it.
I have always wanted to set up an auto water change that put old water from display into the qt, and the qt would overflow to drain.

Ugh.. now I'm tempted to get the Apex Jr as well! (Also a doorbuster). Before I bite the bullet, does anyone have or have used the Jr before? And if so:
1. Can you add a ph probe to it?
2. Can you set it up to do ATO? I just ordered an ATO from BRS but if I can somehow setup the Jr to do my ATO I can return what I purchased and justify buying the apex even more.

Don't bother with the Jr. By the time you add a module for pH, probe, eb8 (you will need more outlets), you will be close to a full new Apex classic and more than used classic.

1. Yes but you will need a PM1 module and a probe.

2. Yes. You can do it several ways. Easiest is the ATK kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't bother with the Jr. By the time you add a module for pH, probe, eb8 (you will need more outlets), you will be close to a full new Apex classic and more than used classic.

1. Yes but you will need a PM1 module and a probe.

2. Yes. You can do it several ways. Easiest is the ATK kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! I'd love to get a full Apex but that's just not within my budget right now. I figure I'll just learn with the JR for now then upgrade as needed. Thanks again!

Jr maxes out at 7 device

Ok yeah, after further reading up on the JR, it does seem pretty useless by itself (except for lights and temp control). I guess I'll go take a cold shower and talk myself out of buying a controller for now lol. I think I'll wait for Black Friday and hope for some kind of a deal on a full Apex then. We have a long vacay planned for January next year so thanksgiving would probably be the best time to invest in a controller.

This deal that brs is running is never seen on Neptune's product. Not even black Friday matches it.

I wonder a bit if this sort of thing annoys Neptune.
They likely require MAP (minimum advertised price) to match on all retailers.
Technically it does, since these points are not a direct discount.
But in reality, they are....

I had no controller at all for several years, then a ReefKeeper Lite for a few years (which I need to get around to selling), and now an Apex. Each step was a dramatic improvement. I would recommend anyone who thinks they will stay in the hobby for at least a couple years to get the Apex as early as feasible so that they are getting used to it along with everything else early on the tank's life. Best to have full comfort and control before you need it in my opinion. Although I also agree that on a limited budget a good ATO is more important :)

There's no reason that the source of the discount isn't Neptune itself. Usually a manufacturer has a marketing development fund (MDF) used to promote sales or reward a distributor or retailer for various reasons.

They could use the MDF for example if they have excess inventory and they want to quickly move inventory to get it off their books or to gain some extra cash flow (especially with quarter end coming up). They could give a discount to a high volume retailer to move inventory fast.

Or it have been that in the Neptune has a retailer rewards program and BRS is being rewarded for meeting a certain volume quota and are getting a "spiff" and decided to pass some or all onto customers.

Plenty other reasons too.

I remember calling around to get prices for an expensive tool that had a MAP. Sure enough, they all quoted me the same price but I went with the one that didn't charge me sales tax and shipped it free.

Well, feel free to play with the AquaController III for fun, for free. :) You'll get a sense of what a controller can do, and if you want to make the investment in a full Apex. I'll PM you with details - you can come get it. Energy Bar, probes and all.

This is a pay-it-forward club, after all!

Well, feel free to play with the AquaController III for fun, for free. :) You'll get a sense of what a controller can do, and if you want to make the investment in a full Apex. I'll PM you with details - you can come get it. Energy Bar, probes and all.

This is a pay-it-forward club, after all!

Thanks so much Lawrence and Betsy! You guys are awesome! I will make sure to pass it on to the next noob once I'm ready to go Apex [emoji4].

Back