got ethical husbandry?

Apogee MQ-200 PAR Meter - Use, Tips, and Questions

lattehiatus

Past President
Please use this thread to share your experience, tips, and questions regarding the use of the Apogee MQ-200 PAR meter.

Quick Tips:
- Remember only the sensor is submersible. Please use common sense and do not submerge the meter in liquid! ;)
- Sun vs. Electric Calibration Mode
Which calibration mode to choose?
Use Sun mode for: LED fixtures, natural sunlight
Use Electric mode for: Metal halides, Fluorescent lamps (T5, T8, T12, PC)
- Rough practical guideline for amount of PAR to target: "With PAR levels averaging 100 at the bottom of the tank, there is enough of a light gradient to allow keeping high light loving corals in the top ½ to 2/3rd of the tank, with lower light corals scattered in the lower half." - Sanjay Joshi

Useful Links

Apogee MQ-200 User Manual

PAR Meters and LEDs - How Accurate are the Measurements? A Comparison of Three Meters and Lux to PAR Conversion Factors for LEDs (Dana Riddle, 2013)
*Note: The Apogee QMSW-SS is a precessor to the MQ-200 and for all practical purposes utilizes the same sensor

A Comparison of Two Quantum Meters - Li-Cor v. Apogee (Dana Riddle, 2005)
*Note: The Apogee QMSW-SS is a precessor to the MQ-200 and for all practical purposes utilizes the same sensor

Light Intensity Measurements for Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)

I seem to recall an article by Sanjay that specifically addresses the issue of hobbyist-grade PAR meters reading on the low side in the blue part of the spectrum, but I can't find it offhand. Has anyone seen it?

Just email him, I will if you want. Well, actually, I think I will see him tonight or tomorrow :)

I made a long rigid handle to move the probe into proper locations and in the right angle. I used acrylic though the kent long handle scrapper is used by many.

i used the acrylic rod from tap and cut it on a 45 then glued a small square of acrylic and screwed meter to that, pretty easy to read. The paper it comes witht he meter i lbelieve says add10 or 15% for blue IIRC dont quote me

Thank you both for the different ways of making a sensor holder! :) From what I understand using a holder is almost a necessity when measuring PAR in larger tanks.

BAYMAC said:
Just email him, I will if you want. Well, actually, I think I will see him tonight or tomorrow :)

I made a long rigid handle to move the probe into proper locations and in the right angle. I used acrylic though the kent long handle scrapper is used by many.

Oops, spent the night at the bar with Sanjay and never asked. Reef was a minor part of our talks :)

I'll try again tomorrow

BAYMAC said:
BAYMAC said:

Oops, spent the night at the bar with Sanjay and never asked. Reef was a minor part of our talks :)

I'll try again tomorrow

No problem, but thanks for the thought! Talking shop all the time can be boring.

Back