Kessil

April 10th BAR meeting featuring Jake Adams

Ok, I found my ghetto fabulous 175W MH setup and I'll bring that. The bulb is fairly new as I only use it for emergency lighting over smaller tanks (QT, Frag swap time, etc). The wiring would fail any sort of code inspection I'm sure, but I trust it, and you can all laugh at how ugly it looks :D

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/07/reef-builders-invades-california-weekend-brian-max-jake-bar/

Good info. Good presentation, especially considering he didn't have time to prepare. We've heard a lot about LED, but I've never heard an authority confirm they grow corals well. Also awesome to see the room packed and lots of new members there.

Excellent topic and presentation! One of the best IMO. I found the info very useful and inspiring. I've had a 24" reefbrite and have been happy with the pop it adds to colors. Based on Jake's enthusiasm and expertise, it really makes me consider that sometime in the future I'll be ditching my MH for LEDs, given the high cost of electricity and the relatively short payback.

CookieJar said:
Excellent topic and presentation! One of the best IMO. I found the info very useful and inspiring. Based on Jake's enthusiasm and expertise, it really makes me consider that sometime in the future I'll be ditching my MH for LEDs, given the high cost of electricity and the relatively short payback.
+1
Could not have said it better!
Well done Jake!!!! :)

My take away for those not there.

Use LED as components to add color and punch to your current system. My pc tank would be a great candidate for a spot to then bring in a clam for basking. LED can bleach corals with its punch, so use the appropriate distance to keep from over lighting. Don't get the lights wet. They blow T-5's out of the water in a supplemental comparison. That is if you have mh and want to add blue go LED. Rich your tank was wild looking on the tank tour with the mh off and the 48" stip of blue LED.

Jake thank you, And Jeremy great invite, thank you.

I am drilling and tapping a heat sink this week...the talk was great inspiration to keep building the new lights.

I will not be ditching my MH anytime soon for LED's. IMO, a system for larger tanks just isn't there yet - at least one at a cost that makes sense. I want to fast forward 2 years. :D For smaller tanks, LED for sure.

For actinic supplementation...ReefBrite all the way!

Lincoln Jake will be back. Until then you can read his LED posts on www.ReefBuilders.com

Two of the Reef Builders (Ryan and Jake) are heading out to InterZoo while we're doing BAYMAC so there will be some exciting posts about new products :) We'll have several RB contributors at BAYMAC as well, Brian Blank, Christine Williams and of course our very own Rich Ross. Hopefully you can make it down to Chabot May 8th for BAYMAC :)

Back