Our mission

April 10th BAR meeting featuring Jake Adams

i just oreder my first of 2 reefbrightsto add to my 2x250 mh....

going on a 4x2x2

wanna play with the leds before i swap out my mh, my diy led fixtures are bout 200$ away from being finished and ready for testing

nanocube-boy said:
When is baymac btw? I can't wait to hang out with you guys like last time.

www.TheBAYMAC.com

Saturday May 8th (Sunday May 9th is mothers day, don't forget)
11am to 5pm
Chabot College, room #2300

:lol: Well it is cryptic, I'll give you that.

2x 250w 14KK Reef Brite SE MH
2x 250w Reef Brite MH ballast
2x Lumenarc minis
2x 48" Reef Brite actinic LED strip lights

You mean the new brackets? Pretty sure you buy brackets and a bunch of strip lights ;) I'm doubting it could do a 120g or a 180g though Rich. Not for a full blown reef.

Gresham, Jake has only LED on his tanks from what I understood. Are all of his smaller than 120? What I heard him say is for the average hobbyist cost benefit is not quite there yet. However he suggests playing with the LED as much as one can and suggested blue supplementation was a great place to start to get off the t5 bulb crack. The initial cost is the limiting factor for hobbyist. The lights are growing/coloring up coral. Did you understand differently?

I agree if you are saying one Reefbrite strip will not provide equal light as two 250 MH. Rich may use two to four white strips or one or two white strips and spots on his five foot tank.

I also liked Jake's experimenting comments and how as we all add LED to our tanks all the components from bin numbers, to color of bulb selection, to driver, to hours on, to lenses used, to height from water, to spots versus blanket, that all these components will be shared and experimented with to make each set up an ongoing trial. Reefing is a hands on trick. Many of us enjoy looking at them, most of us get up and tweak something.

Jake's tank is 5g so yah, much smaller then 120g or a 180g in Rich's case :) Jake's other is a 29g and mainly lit on just a pinnacle as the rest is NPS. His 5g full reef is MUCH shallower and far less water and over all space. You can not compare a 120 to a 5 on any level and simply ramping up doesn't help.

The new brackets Rich was just talking about are for 5 strips, not one. And I still think even 5 will not equal the same as Rich's current 2x 250w + 2 48" RB actinic strip lights. I also don't think Rich would like the color as the whites aren't that warm.

Remember also what he said, there is no correct way to light a tank. What I said above is of course my opinion and may not reflect what others think or feel :)

The bracket:
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/04/12/reefbrite-modular-prototype-bracket-customize-color-taste/

MUCH MUCH more has been written about the LiFI plasma on Reef Builders, and far more in depth. http://reefbuilders.com/tag/plasma-lighting/ There are more posts as well but the search won't being them up as they were pre software upgrade and something about indexing, yadda yadda yadda ;)

Jake also spoke on them as well. The color is great for a reef crest or a temperate tank but as of now it sucks for a reef tank in terms of colors. The funny thing is, the bins they toss are much closer to the color we want.

And there has been very little, if any, real world reef tank experience with them...

MBA uses them on temperate systems and they're awesome for that.

Any idea when we might see some numbers from reef tanks Rich?

BAYMAC should have some good stuff on hand for LED lights. Reef Brite will be there and I'm working on bringing some LEDs to the ReefBuilders Lounge we'll have at the show along with some other cool stuff we like out on the market.

Brian Blank

Back