High Tide Aquatics

April 13th meeting featuring Gary Parr

It was a fun talk for sure. Thanks Gary! Any chance you would share your text slides?

For those interested, there are several apps that can shift the white balance on your iPhone camera. I have no idea of how well they work, but just good to know they exist if you are interested. Just search "white balance" in the itunes store.

gimmito said:
patchin said:
gimmito said:
Did he figure out what was wrong with your camera ?
Yah, he determined it needed to be sent in for repair. So fix or replace?????

Depends on how much to fix it, but I sense a upgrade. ;)
What model do you have, Steve?

Also, let me know if you're interested in an upgrade and I'll see if I can help you find one.

I have the Canon Rebel xs. I got this one at Staples. It was super cheap (the demo unit). Repair looks to be $204 through Canon. Not sure what I'll do. I do have a couple decent lenses for it, but I don't use it that much. So what to do???

$204? I'd say get a new body that can use the lenses you have. Maybe a nice body that someone is selling used locally.

BTW, I want to thank Jim for hooking up another great speaker.

Gary did a fantastic job! So thank you Gary as well for sharing your knowledge with us.

Julio

You are welcome Julio. You know my motto..."If you missed a MACNA, we will try to bring in those speakers that were there." Gary said he had a blast at the meeting, loved the questions, and could have easily gone on for another couple of hours.

Crabby said:
It was a fun talk for sure. Thanks Gary! Any chance you would share your text slides?

For those interested, there are several apps that can shift the white balance on your iPhone camera. I have no idea of how well they work, but just good to know they exist if you are interested. Just search "white balance" in the itunes store.

I took good notes on his slides and his talk. :) I can post them later tonight or tomorrow.

For those interested, I also have notes from Lance's talk as well. :D

patchin said:
I have the Canon Rebel xs. I got this one at Staples. It was super cheap (the demo unit). Repair looks to be $204 through Canon. Not sure what I'll do. I do have a couple decent lenses for it, but I don't use it that much. So what to do???

Yeah, I'd say just get a replacement body. There are a lot of Canon bodies that will fit the lenses (EF or EF-S mount) you have.

goldielocke76 said:
Crabby said:

I took good notes on his slides and his talk. :) I can post them later tonight or tomorrow.

For those interested, I also have notes from Lance's talk as well. :D

Brandie...that would be great for those who couldn't make it or have a short memory (like me). :D

I wanna know what lance said is the on disease or parasite that chromis have, and what he treats them with if you have it in your notes brandie?

Coral reefer said:
I wanna know what lance said is the on disease or parasite that chromis have, and what he treats them with if you have it in your notes brandie?

He didn't specifically address chromis Mike. You might want to checkout the club copy of his book.

He did though. He said they almost always have this one thing. I'll try emailing him. It was the one where you can see they have a missing scale here and there. I always thought it was just that, maybe a result of fighting, but he said it was a telltale sign of something. Just can't remember what it was.

Mike-here is Lance's reply:

Hi Jim:

The disease you are referring to would be Uronema, a ciliated protozoan. This parasite can be controlled using chloroquine @10 PPM. The problem with Uronema however is that it can go invasive, entering the internal organs through the vascular system. I would recommend treating the affected fish in a quarantine tank, under hyposalinity conditions. It would also be a good idea to feed the fish food that has Chloroquine mixed into it. Dr. G's has medicated food ctaining Chloroquine, although I am not sure if it available in your area.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Lance

You the man Jim! (And lance!) thanks! I want to get a big batch of them and try it out and see if I have good success. I love chromis but have had limited success with long term survival in bigger groups.

Back