Cali Kid Corals

Aptasia irradication strategies

Again, thanks for the good input to all. As Richard mentioned, I do have quarantine tank ability and my island of LR is somewhat modular. Hmmm. John (sfboarder) gave me a lifetime supply of Kalk so I'm going to carefully try Kalking some of those buggers. I'll watch the Ph and carbonate hardness while I'm doing it. I may add some peps if I can get some that are large enough. I've had peps in the past and never had them nibble my coral. Is it really much of a problem for most? Hmmmm. I still like the idea of a vessel placed above the tank level that could contain boiling water that would in turn be directed and dispensed over the aptasia while it's still near boiling. Talk about "tough" even my War Like Coral is coming back where I removed it from the reef. There was a day I couldn't keep coral alive and now I can't get it out of the tank. :~

I have not had a problem with the peppermint shrimp eating any coral, and my tank is also largely populated with LPS. Is the kalk paste working? Do you need any syringes?

I've only had a Peppermint eat one of the heads of my newly acquired Frogspawn... I think maybe because that head was either dying or something wrong with it. The other head was left alone. It did eat all my aptasia too. But now all my peppermints have died. I bought a few small ones, but I don't think they made it... would my Radiant Wrasse eat them? Or my large cleaner shrimps? It's tough to find large peppermints these days.

99sf said:
I have not had a problem with the peppermint shrimp eating any coral, and my tank is also largely populated with LPS. Is the kalk paste working? Do you need any syringes?
I'm good for tools. Thanks, Christina. I'll let you know how I do with kalk. Since I can't fly my heli during rain, I'm planning to use up the last of my Joe's Juice this morning and deal with them one animal at a time until I get through them all. I'll move my water cooler so I can get to the back side of the tank easier and just be systematic and relentless. I'll watch my tank chemistry during this process.

You only really need to watch ph but given your tank volume I doubt you'll have any issues

Currently dumping my RO runoff water into my old anemone tank (I really didn't plan on the anemone being aiptasia :D)... however I still see the ones floating around after being dry for what a month or more? Hopefully the freshwater will be enough of a shock to kill the buggers... or at least let me see where the fark they are!

If I could only think of something cool to use them for, I could make a bundle! :crown:
Maybe they could be served as a sushi appetizer! Makes your lips go numb..... :tired:

Major progress!
Used up the last of my Joe's Juice, about two syringes full and nailed numerous aptasia. Really mowed them down! I realize that it's a great method of eliminating them, it's just a hassle to get in there and really get to each one. Also, I mixed some of the kalk powder that John, SFBoarder gave me with some RO water and continued my mission. Guess what? It sure looks a lot like the $12.00 per mini-bottle of Joe's juice. Although it looks the same, Gresh confirmed it's NOT the same compound. I'll be very interested to see if it has similar efficiency.

To continue, after cleaning things up, I hopped in the car and paid a visit to Shawn at Green Marine. He had three healthy, tank raised peppermint shrimp waiting for me and some good conversation. They're jumbo and slid right into the reef. I also picked up what I believe to be a female bangai cardinal to keep my big 'ol male company. The long nosed hawk is really pestering it for I'm hoping it will tire of the game and leave her alone. Time will tell and I'll keep after aptasia stragglers with more kalk solution. I mixed it up in the old Joe's Juice container. Tastes just like chicken!

Joes Juice MSDS and ingredients have been posted in the past... its not just kalk IIRC.

Just curious, what makes you think the BC is a female?

Looks like its water, sodiym hydroxide (lye) and non iodized salt from an old email I just found this morning.

GreshamH said:
Joes Juice MSDS and ingredients have been posted in the past... its not just kalk IIRC.
Just curious, what makes you think the BC is a female?
I've read that the shape of the head indicates m/f. My male has a much boxier and squared-off head and the female (I'm hoping) seems to have a much more pointed head with the nose coming to more of a point than quite so squared off. (here we go with more rumors!) :) I'm told it's the way the mouth is built to allow males to gather the fry in it's mouth for brooding............

BTW, thanks for quick intervention with accurate information (one of your specialties) regarding Joe's Juice ingredients. I do tend to jump the gun when coming to conclusions! :(

Updated:
Saw lots of fish action in the tank so I strolled over to check it out. The fish were fighting over the tail section of one of the larger peppermint shrimp. :tired:

All the fish breeders and experts i know ad well as books I have read point to there being no accurate way to visuslly sex BCs. If you search this forum you will see previous discussions wr've had on this :)

GreshamH said:
All the fish breeders and experts i know ad well as books I have read point to there being no accurate way to visuslly sex BCs. If you search this forum you will see previous discussions wr've had on this :)
Does, "I've just got a feeling" count? :)

Back