High Tide Aquatics

Aptasia outbreak

Well it seems i have an outbreak of aptasia. Convinced that the aptasia x i was using only pissed them off more. I have a radiant wrasse so Im thinking that peppermint shrimp are out of the question. Copperbands are hit and miss ( if they live ). Anybody have any ideas outside of pulling all the rock?

Well it seems i have an outbreak of aptasia. Convinced that the aptasia x i was using only pissed them off more. I have a radiant wrasse so Im thinking that peppermint shrimp are out of the question. Copperbands are hit and miss ( if they live ). Anybody have any ideas outside of pulling all the rock?

I just added 4 Berghia Nudibranchs to my tank to get rid of my aiptasia. Seems to be the only sure-fire cure, assuming that you can keep them alive.

I tried peppermint shrimp and they didn't touch. I added a few (expensive) berghia and they did not eat it. I then got the zapper. It kind of worked, but I ended up pulling out some rock too.

Ive got Tim at Top Notch trying to get me the Berghia's and I've seen the zapper. If i used that I'd have to pull all the rock. Thanks for the replys

Ugly, but you can section off a side of the tank and get peppermints to live over there free of predation and shuffle rocks with aiptasia over to that side periodically?

I'm going to be the doom and gloom response. Unless you plan on doing something really drastic like removing the rock that has aiptasia and chipping off the pieces with aiptasia on it, and making sure those are the only places with aiptasia, you are going to have to add aiptasia eradication to your list of chores along with water changes.

It would have been cheaper and more satisfying for me to cut up $20 bills and paste them onto each aiptasia than using Bergias.

I think I spent like over $200 for Bergias on two different occasions and they all melted without eating any aiptasia.

Peppermint shrimps at least worked for a bit before they died.

It would have been cheaper and more satisfying for me to cut up $20 bills and paste them onto each aiptasia than using Bergias.

I think I spent like over $200 for Bergias on two different occasions and they all melted without eating any aiptasia.

Peppermint shrimps at least worked for a bit before they died.

My peppermint shrimp ate all the aiptasia, but then decided that my rainbow acan was just as tasty. The peppermint shrimp was relegated to the sump in retribution. The aiptasia all came back once he was gone.

I haven't seen my berghia since they went in the tank. After I let them loose, I read an article on Advanced Aquarist that suggested they be kept in a plastic container for a while and fed aiptasia daily until they are larger. Apparently the flow is often too much for them when they are small. I've turned the vortech down a bit for the forseable future so that I don't decimate them.

the problem is so bad now that Im looking into pulling all the rock. I saw that Marine Depot has AquaaMaxx dry rock 50 pounds for alittle over $100. Thoughts?

I picked up three peps after the frag swap. We'll see how they do.

Otherwise I'll get some copperbands.

These rocks will not be going to the new tank

V

I had a major problem in my old tank. 300+ I had a wrasse that would eat the peppermint shrimp but I figured that was just part of the price. They did work for me. But had to buy 3 to keep 2. I also tried the bergia and could have just burned my cash and gotten the same result. I also used aphasia x. Between using it every other week and the shrimp I got rid of all of them. But it took a year. Buying new rock is much easier and in the long run probably cheaper.

I just saw one in my new tank and am all over it. It's in a hard to reach place but I've been watching a peppermint eat it today.

Started to get some new rock today. Gonna go with much less rock this time around to try and prevent this from happening again. Key word here is try. Some of them are so small that they can not be seen

did you guys try squirting the berghia onto the aiptasia? that's how i got mines to eat them. i wonder if there is some kind of initiation...

Just forget about Bergia. Swap rocks or peppermint shrimps!

I had a bunch and did both Aiptasia-X and kalkpaste...they all died ! For about 2 weeks, then they came back in force. I'll post a pic next week. They are everywhere and huge. I think they thrive on Aiptasia-X OR if you use Aiptasia-X, it's a several week treatment. Like every week, go and nuke the small ones and keep punching them down. If you let one week go ... you're doomed!

I'm going to abandon that rock, but it has worms and stars and other good stuff I'd like to keep.

V

Back