got ethical husbandry?

aqua-nut's 120 - getting back to salt!

It's been a while. Time for updates!

I set it up in the living room. Decided I didn't like the plumbing so redid it. It's been running for a week with fresh water and all looks good. Today my wife and I - well really just my wife - made the aquascape. The following is a mockup of the tank footprint and the stacks of rock we like. What do you think?

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC00313.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC00314.jpg

Coral reefer said:
Hard to tell, but make sure there are some open spaces in the rocks for fish to hide

Thanks for the heads up. There are LOTS of cave/open spaces. Impossible to tell from the crappy pics! :)

And thanks to Kris and Denzil for the comments.

I finally took the protective paper off the acrylic. Also put the rock in. i thought it would be easy moving from the mockup in the garage to the tank. Took a lot longer than I thought but it's done. Sand today and my first 40G of SW!

It's really hard to take a pic when there is no real light on the tank. So many reflections!!
And a pic...

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/rockwork in tank.jpg

That tank is SWEET! I like the dimensions a lot. Very clean finish too. Rockwork fits that tank nicely! Good job and congrats John.

I think I might try to hire your wife for her aquascaping abilities for my 210 once it's all set up and ready to go!! LoL ;D

It looks great! I can't wait until you get some life in there! :D

Thanks Kris and Brandie!

To be fair, the design was my concept! I put a sheet of paper on the plywood, drew two triangles and said, "Let's build it like this". So to put numbers to it, concept (me) 1%, implementation (wife) 99%. :)

There is a thread on RC about aquascape design. The best posts are (IMHO) a series of shots starting with the rock and progressing thru the years. After a while you can't see the rock anymore! The principles I took from that, don't put too much rock in, leave lots of room around the edges, don't be shy about pruning!! Now if only I could practice that in my fresh water tank. Somehow it turns to a jungle in no time.

I think the right mountain might be too tall. Nothing is attached so as things grow I can either prune corals or remove the upper rocks.

Following along. Awesome job. It's the exact same setup I have. I did have better luck tuning the flow with a gate valve instead of a ball valve but looks like yours is working fine. I have an ATB 840v2 skimmer and it's great and very, very quite. When there is no water sound like your tank, the pumps sound becomes much more noticeable. I also have an ATB FLowStar 1800 return which is very quiet as well.

Yes Denzil, you do need to get to the stand! (says the king of procrastination!) :)

A pic with the lights installed! Fish and corals soon - really. ;)

One of these days I'll figure out the image posting tricks. This is a 'Cinemascope' kind of image. :( Not for viewing on a phone!!

newlights.jpg

aqua-nut said:
Yes Denzil, you do need to get to the stand! (says the king of procrastination!) :)

A pic with the lights installed! Fish and corals soon - really. ;)

One of these days I'll figure out the image posting tricks. This is a 'Cinemascope' kind of image. :( Not for viewing on a phone!!

newlights.jpg

It's not your fault... the site doesn't handle auto-resizing well... it's just free-form basically, LoL.

Looks AWESOME John! What kind of lighting did you end up with? I couldn't find that in the rest of the thread. I like the overall color a lot. Scape looks GREAT!

Back