Cali Kid Corals

Aquarium Food during Summer Holidays

I call upon the forum knowledge to check if someone has any ideas about this issue that is starting to worry me.

Until recently I have always had freshwater tanks, I currently have a 55 gallon cichlids aquarium so in past summers when I go back to my country (Spain) for several weeks, I put the automatic feeder with pellets and is not a big deal.
I have recently started with a 100 gallon saltwater aquarium and I have some fish that only eats frozen foods (3 Bengali cardinals and 1 big Yellow Tang) and I'm worry about what they will eat during my summer vacations because they totally ignore the pellets and dry food.

My only idea is to ask a friend to come home every few days to throw into the tank some frozen food but this is not ideal because I don't want to bother anybody with that.
Taking the fish out to someone to keep them doesn't seem feasible because they hide behind the rocks and don't want to make a big mess.

I wonder how you all deal with the fish food during long vacations. I know that some of you have wrasses and other fish that also only eat frozen food or live food so I would love to know if you have some method or idea to deal with this.

My advice is stop feeding those fish frozen and they will eventually start going for pellets. Those fish are not known to be amongst the pickier eaters.

Then you can use a automatic fish feeder. A friend should still come and check on your tank if you’re going to be gone for long periods. Depending on your tank, it can take a lot of planning and design to get a reef tank to run autonomously for extended periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start feeding pellets and or flakes with the frozen now. They will usually learn to eat it all eventually. Then you can use the autofeeder and have someone stop by every couple days or so to feed some frozen as well.

Thanks for your replies, I have googled "frozen auto feeder" and it seems to complicated to make it myself, so I'll follow your advice and a few weeks before my holidays I'll cut the frozen food and will try with all kinds of pellets and dry foods.

Thanks for your replies, I have googled "frozen auto feeder" and it seems to complicated to make it myself, so I'll follow your advice and a few weeks before my holidays I'll cut the frozen food and will try with all kinds of pellets and dry foods.

I'd recommend starting training now. It can take a while to coax fish to move to dry foods and sometimes it's takes a few different brands to get them on it.

Start feeding pellets and or flakes with the frozen now. They will usually learn to eat it all eventually. Then you can use the autofeeder and have someone stop by every couple days or so to feed some frozen as well.
This. Do it now.
The frozen feeder isn't complicated. Somewhat expensive tho. Needs a mini fridge and peristaltic pump. I can help you if you go this route.

When I first got my fishes a few weeks ago, they only ate frozen foods (mysis shrimp). I've set the auto feeder to feed 2x a day on two rotations. As of today, all the fishes are eating from the auto-feeder (dry flakes) except for the Anthias. I'm going on vacation soon for 7 days as well, so I'm hoping the Anthias starts eating the dry food :).

Back