Kessil

Aquarium - where to get?

aqua-nut

Supporting Member
OOOhhh. My first post on BAR!!

So as not to hijack Kmooresf's thread...

I'm looking for a 120 Gal. tank, 48x24x24. At this point that's all I know. The rimless glass tanks are cool and I also like acrylic. We might be leaning toward the acrylic.

I'm intrigued by both the coast-to-coast overflow and the 'beananimal' system of sending the overflow to the sump. As neither of these systems are standard, the supplier would have to be open to customization.

So my query...
Where in the bay area would you suggest I look for tanks? I would consider either retail or direct from manufacture (if possible). On-line would work also if the shipping doesn't kill the deal.

I would even consider driving to LA to pick up if that is the LAST resort. :)

Thanks for any info you might have.

John...

gimmito said:
Give Gen of Kritter Tanks a shout, he's one of our sponsors and does solid work w/exceptional service.

Gen sells to the public? I thought he only dealt with stores and service companies?

If you want to consider glass, I got a great deal from LeeMar through Neptune aquatics. Just make sure your quote is for the right size. LOL! I'm getting my sump through Kritter tanks (also through Neptune). LeeMar does charge for crating and shipping, however if you wanted to drive they are down by LA, or San Diego (I think??).

AGE makes cool tanks and they do the external overflows and all the custom things you are looking for, but they are expensive. True Vue would be another one to try. Good luck, sounds like a nice tank!!

GreshamH said:
gimmito said:
Give Gen of Kritter Tanks a shout, he's one of our sponsors and does solid work w/exceptional service.

Gen sells to the public? I thought he only dealt with stores and service companies?

I think he's been dealing directly with the public for awhile. Cut out the middle man and what not. ;)

I've been using Tru-Vu aquariums for what, 20 years? They've been around as long as I have been alive (nearly 40 years now). Great aquariums.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm requesting a quote from Neptune now.

Is Tru-Vu a viable option? Perhaps not. What's wrong with them?

tuberider said:
You are looking at dimensions that are standard, don't be afraid to look into stock glass tanks, you may find they are appealing.

Oh yah. There are some very nice stock tanks now for sure.

Does Oceanic still do a 120 tech tank? I thought those look nice. My 120 acrylic is a Tenecor but I think they are out of business now?

tuberider said:
You are looking at dimensions that are standard, don't be afraid to look into stock glass tanks, you may find they are appealing.

I think my wife is against the glass. She objects to the silicone line. We've only had acrylic so she is 'spoiled'. :)

The framed glass is nice on the wallet. The rimless is a bit too $$ for my tastes although I love the look.

aqua-nut said:
tuberider said:

I think my wife is against the glass. She objects to the silicone line. We've only had acrylic so she is 'spoiled'. :)

The framed glass is nice on the wallet. The rimless is a bit too $$ for my tastes although I love the look.

I've seen some silicone jobs you'd never notice. I suggest checking out Lee Mar if you want a top quality silicone job. Talk to Robert at Neptunes, and while there, take a gander at his Lee Mar display tank. (I forget if he used black or clear silicone)

aqua-nut said:
What's your objection to TruVu? I really want to know as I don't have a horse in this race (yet)!

I had a Tru-Vu. Bought 5 years ago.
For me, the downside was that the acrylic was a bit thin for the size of the tank,
so there was more bowing than I liked.
Other than that, it was excellent build quality. No problems, no bubbles in the joints, nice rounded
front corners, good quality cast acrylic. (I could tell when I drilled it)

+1 on Kritter tanks. I have one. Love it, reasonable cost. (Acrylic)
I bought direct.
But it was a big custom one. It may or may not make sense for a standard one.

GreshamH said:
aqua-nut said:
tuberider said:

I've seen some silicone jobs you'd never notice. I suggest checking out Lee Mar if you want a top quality silicone job. Talk to Robert at Neptunes, and while there, take a gander at his Lee Mar display tank. (I forget if he used black or clear silicone)

Plus if you plan on having tangs, good luck with the acrylic.

Ugh, or certain Turbo snails... especially the ones from Bali. The swirls they left on mine are damn deep. You can hear them rasping at night :(

Back