Cali Kid Corals

Aquatinics Solar Flare

One thing to note with the solar flare fixtulre is that it over drives the bulbs. Each bulb is driven at ~80 watts. With all 6 bulbs driven you will be near the 500w mark. You won't be saving much on electricity compared to 2x250w MH driven with an electronic ballast.

However, if you could turn on the fixture two bulbs at a time and eventually ramp up the intensity you will save some electrical energy vs running 2x250w 8-12 hours a day. However by over driving the bulbs you shorten the life, and the extra cost of bulb replacement might negate any energy bill savings.

hiepatitis said:
If you have a canopy you can do a retrofit which is cheaper and you can spread out 4 bulbs which should be plenty
So you think 4 t5s is enough light for a 48x24x20tall tank?

For an SPS tank, I would use 6-8 bulbs T5HO (not the over driven T5HO)
I would also stagger the lighting to turn on something like (adjust as you see fit)

4-5pm = 2 bulbs on
5-7 pm = 4 bulbs on
7-10 pm = 6 bulbs on
10-12 pm = 4 bulbs on
12-1 am = 2 bulbs on

If you have good reflectors and overdriving them. If you don't want to overdrive them you may need more. It also depends on what you're keeping. I got an ATI fixture which doesn't overdrive the bulbs but the output is good. It costs a pretty penny though.

4 would work but consider if you want different colors throughout the day. If it were me I'd go 6 like Gomer mentioned and have 2 ballasts so I could stagger them on & off at different times.

If you want want Tony suggested you need 3 ballasts. Also most normal T5 ballasts only can run 2 bulbs per ballast anyways. Exception is the icecap ballasts, but those over drive the bulbs

sfsuphysics said:
I think 4 bulbs would be fine too for only 20" tall, I mean you probably won't get any crazy insane growth rates but it'll work still.

Ask Mikey about how well you can do with just 4 bulbs, you can get insane crazy growth rates with that setup. IMO PAR is overrated, water clarity plays a huge role much of a role as light, as well as flow too.

Not to discount your post Mike, you are correct, I just wanted to bring into the discussion the other factors that influence coral health/growth.

iani said:
On a side note did you guys see that the new TEK lights will have built in fans and new reflectors?

Yah but no details :( just a couple little pics :(

Back