Jestersix

Aquavitro Salt- stays cloudy

I'm mixing it to a 1.025 level and it stays cloudy even after 12+ hours of mixing. Furthermore in my mixing bin there's a white film left on the walls. Has anyone else had this problem? I know Arnold posted the same about Seachem Reef, but I thought AVS was a higher grade. I added salt to a full bin of RODI water 1/2 of the total salt at a time, and it's the 2nd half of salt that causes the cloudiness. thoughts?

It won't. I think it is just a side effect of it. I am on bucket 8 of it and have had this issue with evey one. Thought at first there was a problem with the params of the salt but after further review.... no issues with them.

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/11578

ok, good to know that there isn't anything wrong with my salt or mixing method. The cloudy goes away after several hrs. in the display tank, so no big deal.

Yep. That is what I found too. My mixing containers walls are covered with that white powdery stuff though. By the time I put it in the tank it is fine. Try adding the salt slow, I found it helps. Also have heard that the newer batches fix the issue, but most of the stock locally is still from the older batches. Hear they fixed the bucket issues too.

So, I was having the cloudy issue with Salinity as well and still have a bucket. I bought a bucket of Microbe-lift reef salt from AC and mixed 50/50. It mixed clear and my tank is happier than the past few changes. Go figure.

It has been that way since day 1. I just through my salt and water in a brute trash can and an old rio pump and let it mix for about 24 hours, then I do my water change. Cloudiness is all gone by then.
Then about once a month I take a brush and with regular tap water scrub down the sides of the brute can.

I really hope they have fixed that residue issue. Idont want to have to clean my container all the time. I went months in between with the seachem reef salt...

I'm about ready to start using my first bucket of Aquavitro. Does the temperature of the water when the salt is added impact the amount of white residue?

I have tried it at multiple temps and seem to get the same results. The water itself becomes clear after about 12 hours or so but it still leaves that film in the mixing container from my experience.

Depends on how much you're adding, I routinely do water changes and add the cloudy salt to tanks, the key is to make sure all of the solids are dissolved, it doesn't necessarily need to be in solution.

i mixed up a 50gal batch and it stayed cloudy for two days. i was thinking that there was a problem but the tank reacted favorably after the WC so was not too worried about it. Is the light coating in my saltwater container a calcium issue? I always fill the barrel first before adding the salt so i didn't think i can have the calcium fall out of precipitation.

I used a Koralia 4, in a 25 gallon mixing tub I get everything going first and then dump the salt oone cup at a time right in front f the powerhead. I have the powerhead positioned at midddle depth in the tub, with it facing along one side, to get a whirlpool motion. It makes the unmixed salt sit right in the center, I wait about 30 min and then use my hand to stir what salt has collected in the center. Then I let it go for a few hours and check the temp, ready for WC.

Back