Jestersix

Arnold's tank crash - stupid power outage!

man,this suck big time.check your vortec does it come at 50% when the power outage.there another thread in sps forum said the vortec doesn't come on at 50% like it' said.He's lose the tank also.sorry man.:(,IF u need anything just lmk.

LAPSAN

Sorry to hear about your tank, Arnold. Hopefully it's just bleached corals that you'll have to deal with when things settle back down.

Thanks Lap. the vortec ran well on battery power. I won't know how bad it is until later tonight. Like you said my tank was packed! maybe I need more life support during outages.

thanks Eric - did you ever get Patrick and Tong there frag?

On the bright side, this is better than AEFW! At least I know I can deal with the power loss, one time event. ( hopefully)

Too true! And if it was oxygen deprivation, the emergency airstone mentioned expelling air under the low flow vortech will be a pretty substantial improvement.

Nope, I've been too busy so didn't get a chance to yet. :(

Was gonna call you up to schedule a drop off this week, but don't think that'll work out now.

Sorry to hear about the outage Arnold. That really sucks. Let me know if you need any kind of help. Let us know how it is when you get home.

Patrick

ugh, sorry to hear, this is literally my worst nightmare and I just came home to a note on the door, PG&E is giving 24-48hr notice on break in service. They are doing seismic retrofits all the gas lines on my street for the next 10days...no mention WHEN the power/gas will be out or for how long....I have a cheap Ehiem battery air pump, but I have to be around to run it...crap, not sure what to do....

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=5077.msg62549#msg62549 date=1225868081]
ugh, sorry to hear, this is literally my worst nightmare and I just came home to a note on the door, PG&E is giving 24-48hr notice on break in service. They are doing seismic retrofits all the gas lines on my street for the next 10days...no mention WHEN the power/gas will be out or for how long....I have a cheap Ehiem battery air pump, but I have to be around to run it...crap, not sure what to do....
[/quote]

sounds like a good time to make that investment into a generator

Montana, I ran into a similar issue. I have a bunch of relatively low power koralias. I went out and "borrowed" a UPS from BestBuy and hooked it up to one of the koralias that were near the water surface (better for gas exchange). When power went out (short notice powerout like yours), that PH kicked in and all was well in the tank. Zero signs of stress the next day. A few days later, my Vortech and battery arrived and I returned the "borrowed" UPS.

Sorry to hear about the crash!

When the power goes it surely is a nightmare. Last year a bunch of us were without power in the Sacramento area for a day and beyond. Those of us fortunate enough to be around our tank when the power went down scrambled for generators or inverters and deep cycle batteries to keep things going.

I hope things turn out okay and that things will be in working order soon.

Thanks for all the words of support everyone. The water smelled bad and was still cloudy when I got home. I did a 55 gallon slow water change ( 5 at a time ) last night. Thanks to Ian for bringing over 20 extra gallons of RO for me. I think didn't it was going to be that bad, but I think I shocked Ian when he saw the white tank of death....... He said I should have taken the day off from work... anyways.

The softies are ok, the LPS look not too bad. My 2 - 10 inch gigas clams are ok, but.....my smaller clams look like crap.

DOA so far about 4 SPS frags, 1 deresa clam, and 1 large brittle star.
75% of the rest of the SPS look real bad....ther water wasn't clear enough to see if they were just bleached or totally dead so I let most of them in for now.
I have only seen a few fish, but no bodies yet.

I will do another 30 gallon change tonight and see how it goes. Ian took some pics yesterday, but I am not sure how they came out...it just looks like the tank has lots of milk in it.

I guess the lesson for everyone, be better prepared for stuff like this. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

I was in shock, man I couldn't believe my eyes.

Arnold what is the pump on the skimmer that is broken? Maybe someone has a spare one you can use for the time being.

Back