Ashburn’s not so frugal 90g

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by ashburn2k, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

New frag rack in frag tank, hopefully this time I don’t have to deal with gha like last time
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

you got rid of all your live rock?

3. ashburn2k

Never had any live rock in my frag tank

4. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I found that to be the case with my set up. When I checked with the par meter I was losing about 20%. My glass is 1/2" tempered starphire glass so you'll likely get better par since yours looks to be 1/4" but I'm not sure if you got the starphire glass. I expected there to be some loss but I didn't think it would be 20%. I still only run them at 55% at peak so I have plenty of room to still go up.

I also raised mine off the glass by about 1/8" to allow for some airflow around them. The glass does get warm but never so much that I can't touch it.
    IMG_4564.JPG

5. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Why do you need a piece of glass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. ashburn2k

To prevent the salt creep into my light box.

7. ashburn2k

So I was trying to clean the calcium buildup in my DT with vinegar, this is not helping at all :/

[​IMG]

If the glass is dry, this is what I will be seeing, after cleaning that area for good 30 mins with vinegar stained cloth and sponge, I gave up. Anyone have other ideas how to get it cleaned?

8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Was tank left dry and dirty for a long time? I've seen tanks that were filling and left to evaporate until empty have weird "etching" from hard water stains or something like that. Seems like whatvmay have happened here. I think it's not gonna be easy to do, or realistic in this case with the tank set up, but you can buff it out with like a power tool for waxing cars and the right wheel on it maybe. @denzil has some experience in this matter I believe.

9. ashburn2k

I guess so, but the weird thing is, it’s crystal clear on both side. :/

10. denzil

denzil Webmaster

It's extremely difficult to identify by picture of what the exact issue is. Was it absolutely clear prior to using vinegar? What brand is your display tank? Vinegar alone shouldn't cause haziness in the glass.

11. ashburn2k

It was like that before I apply the vinegar. And the tank was never clear, always look hazy after water is filled.

12. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I think the only way to deal with that issue on the glass would require the tank to be empty and polish the glass; I was doing the polishing on a rimless cube and man is a lot of effort and elbow grease required. Also and very important, polishing glass can post a serious health hazard; you'd need a respirator. Glass dust is like asbestos, yup, that bad.
    That particular spot seems like it was done with abrasive stuff.
    It would be easier to swap the tank for another 90 than dealing with the glass

13. ashburn2k

Does anyone know what mushroom this is?[​IMG]

14. ashburn2k

So I finally got fed up with the aiptasia brothel, coral eating nudi alley rock, and frag the hell out of everything, now tossed it out in the drive way to get baked before I can repurpose it.

in another updates:
    new mp40 pump in place, pp20 is the backup pump if anything fails.
    new sebae clown from @enaldy, and he looks so identical to the clarkiis that I got from @RandyC. He was in the DT for first day and after the big maroon tried to kill him, i had to move him to the frag tank.
    new damsel fishs from @DEATH BY SNU SNU

for now, coming back for pictures and other new additions to the tanks

FTS of the day
    [​IMG]

Doser in place
    [​IMG]

My frugal tube holders
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    enaldy likes this.
  15. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

Nice.. just watch out the biting thing lol... He's like a teenager: Doesn't like anybody lol.

16. ashburn2k

i made a routine with him so everytime when my hand needs to be in the tank, i would first show my hand to him first, and do a finger pointing thing at him. he didnt bite me then after.

17. ashburn2k

oh and it's Her now, she kicked out the old female clarkii and pared with clarkii's male and the anemone home

18. ashburn2k

and um.. more free frags coming for members. stay tuned.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  19. ashburn2k

Finally the GBTA has fully recovered and moved to DT, and this pair took no time to host in it.

[​IMG]
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

Looks great~!

ashburn2k likes this.