Our mission

Ashburn's 187g endgame tank

Or you could just run a couple 2x4s from the bottom of the 2x12 to the concrete(?) pad below, screw them to the wall and you have more than enough load bearing strength.

Latest update, main frame for the stand is up, just need to scure the stand with more screws and center braces

49882bb596af467e487c1c2821ca9072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Next up, moving new sump under the new stand, and redo the plumbing/wiring.

Also adding the insulation foam board in the back do it actually gets insulated in winter.

Will move the tank in place tomorrow, cant’t wait! I’m excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hard to see because of that wood in the way, but you might want to run some 2x4s from that top frame down to the ground (or on top of that bottom piece. As it stands (no pun) all of the weight that is on that top rim of 2 by material and is only held to the 4x4s by those screws, so all of that weight is creating a shear force on those screws (except for that back wall 2x12 where there's wood downward). If those screws go, the tank will drop and those 4x4s will go right through the bottom pane of glass. It's an easy enough fix though, you don't have to take the tank down or anything, just wedge in some 2x4s against those 4x4s so all the weight is on the 2x4s, those 4x4s are only holding the load because the screws haven't sheared, so are largely decoration

I didn’t think of it before...
In all of my stands, the tank sits on top of a sheet of plywood
Distributing the weight

All of my stands are ugly
But none have failed

Yeah, while I did notice the lack of plywood I initially it wasn't a critical thing because "hey glass tank! all the weight is on the rim frame" but a second look at that tank, it's closer to an acrylic tank in that the bottom glass is not floating, it's like a LeeMar (it is?) tank, the bottom glass rests on a surface (emphasis of "ON A SURFACE"). While those cross beams probably help some, I'd throw a sheet of 1/2" plywood on there just for funsies, then a sheet of foam just in case there's a high spot or something.

Well the LeeMar thought was because I had an 80g baby brother version of that tank, 30" x 24" x 24" fun little tank that part of me wishes I kept because it was considerably nicer looking that a 40g breeder that I plan on doing anemones but that said dealing with that overflow was a pain in my ass because I tried to use all the closed loop holes that were drilled in it for return pipes (not closed loop)

I would ditch everything and just buy new sand.

Or if you feel like you must keep that stand, clean it out in a separate bucket, why start your tank off with someone else's bad reefkeeping habits.

Back