Reef nutrition

Atlantic Coral Collection current rules?

That's what he mentions, the business has not been successful to keep the specimens alive. Although he mentions they collect with "research purposes" I looked at the page and besides having some universities, government agencies' logos/links, looks a plain for profit (to me)...

That was the gist I got from that website :) Sure felt commercial.

I know a few people that work with A. palmata and it is not an easy coral. Probably one of the hardest, if not the hardest, acro to keep in captivity.

tuberider said:
It would so totally super suck if they were selling palmata, there's only a handful of people that have the skills to keep it alive...

and they routinely have issues as well :(

The most exciting thing about it is the shape, and you won't see such stands in aquariums :(

There are some LPS in the ATL I would kill for!!!! >)

@ Anathema:
Gusty, brasilian friend said Brasil's Government is also very protective of it's natural resources, not only because the country's own interest but the world's too.
Tropical animals is a regulated trade where is permitted but as is typical of many Federal Agencies, there's a lot of money involved and the black market is huge, know the right person and they'll look the other way.
They expect some changes due to two major events taking place in Brasil, Football's World Cup and Summer Olympic Games (Which is like a second World Cup, he says they care about futebol, not the gymnastics! lol ) but once the fever is gone, back to business. Showcasing Brasil to the world and it's vast but endangered bio-diversity is a must.
Sad but true

ooooh !

Now I know/remember the importance of the futebol in the Olympic Games for Brasil; he says is the only title they have not won and that would make them without a doubt (like anyone has any) THE best football team ever. AND if it was not enough, Brasil is, for the second time hosting the World Cup, winning it at home would be the first time and a MUST; Uruguay took it off their hands (sad history day for Brasil "Maracanazo")

xcaret said:
@ Anathema:
Gusty, brasilian friend said Brasil's Government is also very protective of it's natural resources, not only because the country's own interest but the world's too.

Here's the deal though Mario, A. palmata is not found in Brazilian waters, those folks are going outside of Brazil to collect, thats pretty messed up.

tuberider said:
xcaret said:
@ Anathema:

Here's the deal though Mario, A. palmata is not found in Brazilian waters, those folks are going outside of Brazil to collect, thats pretty messed up.
Jeremy that website selling it is in Mexico

That sounds about right Mario. When I was in Brasil it was common to see locally collected corals in the aquarium stores, and there appeared to be no enforcement in sight. However I assumed things would be vastly different for a foreigner caught trying to fly them out. Hope that guy on RC realizes the same thing.

As far as Brasil caring about their resources? I call bullshit, let's all eat soybeans grown on the banks of the amazon.

anathema said:
That sounds about right Mario. When I was in Brasil it was common to see locally collected corals in the aquarium stores, and there appeared to be no enforcement in sight. However I assumed things would be vastly different for a foreigner caught trying to fly them out. Hope that guy on RC realizes the same thing.

As far as Brasil caring about their resources? I call bullshit, let's all eat soybeans grown on the banks of the amazon.

They care to an extent otherwise several high profile ichthyologists wouldn't be imprisoned for removing protected species. Never mind the entire region was about to be submerged via the building of a new dam which would have wiped the species off the face of the earth.

You know how many dams are in Brazil and how many species of something they have already wiped out? They get like 80 - 90% of there power from hydro electric. The current dam they are building now for the olympics is rerouting a river to another valley to prevent loosing a few large towns. Whatever is in that valley will be gone soon. All damns wipe out habitat, but in the rainforest down there, habitats are many and small. Any valley there can contain species found no where else. I am sure someone walked through the valley for a week to make sure nothing of value was there. *wink*

Sure do... it's something that has interested me for over 30 years. I sure would like to see some of it before its all underwater, built up or burned down :(

Any given river most likely has pockets in it of fish that live no where else but that little 10' - 50' section.

I don't think the river waters are that diverse as they are all connected and really similar environments. The predators move pretty freely. Plus a lot of areas run dry and then flood the next day which doesn't give a species a lot of opportunity to develop in a little ecosystem. Was in Brazil I think 12 years ago. Beautiful but miserable to be in except the coasts or mountain peaks.

There might be some fresh water pools, springs that have developed into a ecosystem somewhere but I wouldn't look for diversity in fish there. In the trees or in the dirt, it is insane. The jungles are noisier than new york city in some parts with all the bugs making noises.

Qwiv said:
I don't think the river waters are that diverse as they are all connected and really similar environments. The predators move pretty freely. Plus a lot of areas run dry and then flood the next day which doesn't give a species a lot of opportunity to develop in a little ecosystem. Was in Brazil I think 12 years ago. Beautiful but miserable to be in except the coasts or mountain peaks.

There might be some fresh water pools, springs that have developed into a ecosystem somewhere but I wouldn't look for diversity in fish there. In the trees or in the dirt, it is insane. The jungles are noisier than new york city in some parts with all the bugs making noises.
Given the size of the country, unless you were there specifically for FW fish collections I hardly put any stock into that post you just did. The diversity of the rivers there is well documented in FW fish books, magazines and research papers. Take Cory's for example..... there is a reason why them and catfish tend to have numbers behind there names ;)

tuberider said:
Ahhh, OK, I'm all messed up in this thread, guess I need to take my meds :D
tuberider said:
Ahhh, OK, I'm all messed up in this thread, guess I need to take my meds :D

Hit the surf !!
Might be a lack of dose of cold water. :D

Guy in Mx states the business has been collecting over a year, have not had a single specimen survived much less the A.Palmata
Him, has collected a frag roughly an inch and is doing well in his system.
Mentions too, most of the stony corals are pretty browned out, many rivers are to be the main source for the coloration since what not dumps into the Gulf of Mexico (Veracruz) and what he has collected gains really nice color after some time in his tank.

Back