Our mission

August BAR meeting - Quarantine for Reef Systems - Aug. 12

Mr. Ugly

Past President
Quarantine for Reef Systems - August 12, 2006 1pm
Setup, use, and maintenance of small quarantine systems for reef hobbyists.

Bay Area Reefers is very pleased to host "Quarantine for Reef Systems", a presentation by Frank Burr of www.thecoraloasis.com

This presentation will cover:

- the importance of livestock quarantine for reef systems
- setting up small QT systems for fish and corals
- overview of pests and pathogens and their proper treatment methods

Frank Burr has over 23 years experience in reefing, including both hobby and commercial. Starting with a home built 60gal reef in 1983 and progressing to multiple personal tanks, Frank now owns and operates a 900+ gallon coral propagation farm, a retail store outlet, and cares for an additional 1000+ gallons of display tanks and five 20 gallon QT tanks.

Keep your eyes open for Frank's new book, "Quarantine for Reef Systems", to be published in August 2006!

Our August meeting is sponsored with raffle donations from our friends and supporters at:

- Atlantis Aquarium - www.atlantisaquarium.net
- Aquarium Concepts - www.aquariumconceptsinc.com
- Exotic Reefs - www.exoticreefs.us
- Reef Nutrition - www.reefnutrition.com
- Reef Ready - www.reefready.net
- and others

This event is open to the general public and will be held at Aquatic Specialties and Pets in Hayward, a state of the art, ethical, aquatic wholesaler. Please follow this link for directions: www.bareefers.org/ASAP%20Directions.aspx

We will be collecting frag donations for the Steinhart/BAR collaboration on the new reef display for 2008 at this meeting. Show your support for coral propagation and reef conservation! :)

Yes, and another killer raffle for those who attend :D

See you there!

I won the DJ power center last time :)
But Elite you can find them at Guitar center. I bought one before from the Guitar Center on Stevens Creek.

magma01 said:
I won the DJ power center last time :)
But Elite you can find them at Guitar center. I bought one before from the Guitar Center on Stevens Creek.

Ain't you win everything last time :D ???
Do you remember how much it cost?

magma01 said:
:) I won a bunch of stuff last time, but just 1 coral. I wanted that alien eye. :)
I think it was twenty something dollars.

I mounted Alien Eye 2 inch from top of the water to get more light.
It's still in the same state. Didn't die, but didn't grow.

Does anyone know the best place/water for this beast? ;-)

This is branching Alien Eye chalice?

I keep mine medium to low in the tank under 250w MH. I have one under 96w PC at the bottom of a 10g too. Both do fine. Don't need to blast it with light or flow like for SPS.

What kind of lighting do you run? If you want it to grow faster, just feed it every day. Turn off your water flow when you do that.

I have it in 10G under 96W 50/50 ;-)
How do I feed it?

So should I put it lower and restrict water flow?

Thanks!

Mr. Ugly said:
This is branching Alien Eye chalice?

I keep mine medium to low in the tank under 250w MH. I have one under 96w PC at the bottom of a 10g too. Both do fine. Don't need to blast it with light or flow like for SPS.

What kind of lighting do you run? If you want it to grow faster, just feed it every day. Turn off your water flow when you do that.

Arcti-Pods, Roti-Feast, frozen Mysis, Cyclop-Eeze are all great foods for the branching alien eye. I target feed mine, when I remember. I usually just dose the tank with Arcti-Pods and Roti-Feast and let it go :D

I disagree. PC's can burn a coral just a fast a MH, I've seen the damage first hand!

yeah but *A* 96w PC? That's what spread over 3 feet? I don't see how there can be a concentrated source of light for that guy.

Not to mention if you ask what lighting Matt held his corals under, 400w MH bulbs.

Seriously. I think you should consider trading it for something that is better suited for your tank and lighting, or selling it. Personally I don't think 96w PC's are sufficient for it. Though I think it is possible for you to sustain it I have a hard time believing it would really ever grow.

sfsuphysics said:
yeah but *A* 96w PC? That's what spread over 3 feet? I don't see how there can be a concentrated source of light for that guy.

Not to mention if you ask what lighting Matt held his corals under, 400w MH bulbs.

Wow, a three foot 10 gallon, that is a new tank size to me :lol: Shoot nearly two decades of dealing with aquariums, and I've never come across a 3' 10 gallon. Typically, a 10g is what, 20"L x 12"h x 10"w or so? So to get to 36", it would be like 36 x 3 x 3?

Yup, even a 55pc can burn a coral, if high enough. Someday you should borrow a PAR meter and back up you claims ;) I've tested new and old 55w,65w and 96w pc's in several tanks. The PAR at 2" is a lot more then you'd think.

Back