Jestersix

Aussie Archohelia Rediviva (Strange, rare coral?)

Hey guys,

I just snagged this on liveaquaria. I haven't seen anything like this before... little comes up for Archohelia on RC or on Google. I think it's a really beautiful piece... not photosynthetic, so will require feeding. (Not a problem since I feed all my acans, dendros, etc. anyways...)

Does anyone have any information about this species?

530721799_mZcTf-L.jpg

Yeah it's a very strange one. Hopefully care will be similar to a sun coral or those mini dendro clusters. Can't wait for it to come in.

I've never seen it called that Ian. I do see Live Aquaria calling it that (galaxia) but IIRC all my books say Acrhelia horrensis

THAT IS SICK. please keep me in mind if you ever frag it. I'd kill for it. You need food? I need that coral :p

You don't want to know. I have been pretty ridiculous the last few months with coral purchases.

I'm going to be fragging up a lot of stuff and selling some off to help offset what I spent. (Not looking to make any money, just relieve the wallet pain!) I spent several times what I spent on my tank on livestock. Ouch!

Yeah but if its kick ass livestock who cares right!? DBTC time yet?? :D

You gotta take a photo when you get it and it acclimates, I'm curious how doctored the doctor's photos might be.

I just mentioned that I dropped a ton of money on coral to my coworker and his response was: "Well, at least you are not addicted to drugs..."

I am not sure if that is a compliment or not... huh.

I will both take a photo when this comes in and frag this one for DBTC. It seems like a pretty special piece and I want to be sure that it stays available in the club. I'd like this one to go to a very qualified propagator who will give it a good chance of success. Look for a DBTC in a couple of weeks once this settles in.

GreshamH said:
I've never seen it called that Ian. I do see Live Aquaria calling it that (galaxia) but IIRC all my books say Acrhelia horrensis

THAT IS SICK. please keep me in mind if you ever frag it. I'd kill for it. You need food? I need that coral :p

Looks like I asked for hotcake first Phong :)

I'm calling Kevin first thing in the am. I bet he has more hidden some place.

bookfish said:
Is this the line for free hotcakes?

THAT THING IS SICK :p

Oh boy it looks like it can really chomp down on the Reef Nutrition...this piece better make it's rounds soon as I need a raise :lol:

Hahaha... guys, this isn't even a DBTC thread yet!! :p I guess this is what I get for hitting refresh on the online reef vendors 5x an hour.

Eight said:
Hahaha... guys, this isn't even a DBTC thread yet!! :p I guess this is what I get for hitting refresh on the online reef vendors 5x an hour.

Oh you'll give in to all the hounding, trust me :)

You can't dangle it then yank it :p

Keep us updated on how it does and what it feeds on though.

I Have that same coral. It has grown to the size of a basketball in just 6 months. BTW that pic of it was most likely taken with no lighting what so ever as is glows in the dark so brightly I had to get a black out screen for my tank just so I could watch TV in the same room.
The coral is a nuisance. You might as well just give it to me since I am already set up to deal with it.
Jon :D

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/05/07/arcohelia-rediviva-shows-full-potential-liveaquaria/

Jakes one of the guest speakers at BAYMAC again this year (he wrote the RB post).

That's funny. In a prior RB post one of the bloggers copied a post I made on RC describing the Neptune APEX. (I had spent some time talking to Curt at MAX.) Funny how this is such a small world/community.

Well, the coral came in today. Excellent packaging from Liveaquaria as always. The coral looks to be in very good shape. No pests that I was aware of. I gave her a quick mild Revive dip then placed her in a shaded spot in my tank.

First impressions is that this coral looks exactly like the photo. The base is pure white, polyps are blue rimmed with black. Looks like Liveaquaria did do a little photoshop enhancement. Deepened the black levels too much which I think made it look a bit fake. It's a nice size too. Not a little frag, bout the size of a small apple.

Here's a quick photo that I took this morning. I tried to get the colors to be as realistic as possible.

532059400_WvDQa-M.jpg

So far so good. Polyps aren't open because I just but her in the tank, will report back later on.

Really excited about this one!

Back