High Tide Aquatics

Auto Top Off Recomendations?

Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase an auto top off system. I've read some reviews online, but would like feed back from BAR members. Suggestions? Things to stay away from? If you have one for sale, then let me know too :)

Thanks

Do a search here on the site...there have been many threads with ATO information and how to keep it from sticking/flooding. I believe the Tunze is rated quite well if a bit pricy.

-Gregory

I can vouch for the Tunze ATO pump working well in a normal setting. I used it for quite a while.
But I ended up with my "Reef Angel" controller, controlling a peristaltic pump.
I needed that new pump, since my RO water is outside, and the water tube goes across the roof of my garage.
That roof-run required too high of a head pressure on most pumps, including the Tunze.
I got tired of filling a smaller reservoir near the tank.

The nice thing about the reef angel is that I could program in a safety system myself.
I know roughly how much water is needed per day, so it is programmed to
never exceed that by more than 50%, regardless of what the sensor says.
And it comes with an extra sensor, which I may hook up someday.

I did a search on BAR and found this website:

http://autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

Is this the one people still use?

Gonzo said:
I did a search on BAR and found this website:

http://autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

Is this the one people still use?

I use the dual model with a top off pump from BRS. Happy as a clam. Top off pumps were on sale for 70/ea this weekend - may still be going

Tunze on the other tank - works well and very accurate but the noise it makes gets annoying when I do water changes or turn off the return line. Expensive and the pump/tubing are hard to connect - Had to improvise but still works well.

I don't use the sump version from AutoTopOff.com, but I use their in-tank dual sensor system and it's been running without issues in over 6 months, and I haven't even clean the thing once (although I should!). The all wires and cords on it are a little too short, but otherwise I am a happy customer.

iCon said:
Tunze on the other tank - works well and very accurate but the noise it makes gets annoying when I do water changes or turn off the return line. Expensive and the pump/tubing are hard to connect - Had to improvise but still works well.

What noise? Is it an alarm?

GreshamH said:
iCon said:

What noise? Is it an alarm?

Yes. :D The one that alerts you to the coming flood. Not a universal gripe about the product, just my application of it I suppose. I probably trigger it more often than most people due to my set up - When I turn off the return pump, the overflow area fills up past the manual float switch. My biggest gripe about the unit is the pump's nozzle and the tubing they give you to connect to it.

Grrr I am not fond of Tunze alarms.... I still have a older Stream with the alarm and every water change it goes off.

GreshamH said:
Grrr I am not fond of Tunze alarms.... I still have a older Stream with the alarm and every water change it goes off.

Hah - If anything it makes me work faster. They should have put an on/off switch on the controller unit. Even with the top off unit plugged into a DJ power panel, I'm not fond of reaching under and turning it on/off

Heh I simply have to press the feed button to get a 5 minute reprieve :D

I have the Spectrapure "Ultra Precise Auto Top Off".

It is horribly horribly expensive ($200+) but it is so awesome that I love it and wish I had bought it years ago.

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p7.htm

I hate paying a lot for things, but I am getting my moneys worth from this. The tank is always at the correct level and it feeds water through my kalk mixer. I just keep filling up my reservoirs. No more fear about going away on vacation, I trust it. It's awesome. But again ... expensive!

V

Back