auto top-off set up

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by itsacrispy, Sep 19, 2016.

1. itsacrispy

itsacrispy Supporting Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can share their auto top-off equipment setup. I didn't want to get an ATO at first because it adds complexity to the mix, but with a couple out of town trips lines up I will need to get an ATO setup going.

That being said, any tried-and-true pieces of equipment you would suggest? I've never had an ATO system before so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

The Tunze ATO is one of the best stand alone ATOs. I'm using the Avast ATO setup with my Neptune Apex and the PMUP.

3. itsacrispy

itsacrispy Supporting Member

Thank you Vincent!

4. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

I have a Tunze Osmolator on my 37 gal cube and also got one on my farther-in laws fresh water tank.

here's a set up guide

5. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I use the Spectrapure "Ultimate Top Off" (or whatever). It uses their Litre Meter pump. Expensive, but it's awesome. Made my life so much simpler.

I have the output pushing into my kalkmixer so that I top off with Kalk instead of RO water.

V

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I simply have an aqua-lifter pump turn on for a minute or two multiple times per day, I already have a feel for how I evaporate and it keeps the water level in check to a fairly accurate margin, then I readjust on a week (or so) basis based on water level in the sump. Overall it works, but if I left for over a month I might have issues if evaporation changes some how.

I'll end up changing to something a bit more accurate when I get my new tank up (if I ever do...), saw a few of them in action at MACNA, Tunze, Smart ATO, etc.

7. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I used to use a medical peristaltic pump, set up to a specific millilitres/hour. But the tubing kept wearing out and it has an annoying alarm (since it's for medical purposes). I tried the BRS dosing pump too ... nope, not enough. So I gave up, entered my CC number at Spectrapure, closed my eyes and pressed "submit". No regrets.

V

8. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Simple two-float switches with a relay to power a Mini Jet pump that fit nicely in a regular 5g jug

9. sjbro

sjbro Guest

Haha. I used to have the same setup for ATO. Lasted for years. I switched to Reef Keeper controlled ATO, when I bought the RKE unit to control lights, temp, pH...

10. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Some where in my mountain of half done aquarium projects and things I meant to do, I have some float switches and relays for such a system before I gave up and just bought one.

V