Reef nutrition

auto top-off set up

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can share their auto top-off equipment setup. I didn't want to get an ATO at first because it adds complexity to the mix, but with a couple out of town trips lines up I will need to get an ATO setup going.

That being said, any tried-and-true pieces of equipment you would suggest? I've never had an ATO system before so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I use the Spectrapure "Ultimate Top Off" (or whatever). It uses their Litre Meter pump. Expensive, but it's awesome. Made my life so much simpler.

I have the output pushing into my kalkmixer so that I top off with Kalk instead of RO water.

V

I simply have an aqua-lifter pump turn on for a minute or two multiple times per day, I already have a feel for how I evaporate and it keeps the water level in check to a fairly accurate margin, then I readjust on a week (or so) basis based on water level in the sump. Overall it works, but if I left for over a month I might have issues if evaporation changes some how.

I'll end up changing to something a bit more accurate when I get my new tank up (if I ever do...), saw a few of them in action at MACNA, Tunze, Smart ATO, etc.

I used to use a medical peristaltic pump, set up to a specific millilitres/hour. But the tubing kept wearing out and it has an annoying alarm (since it's for medical purposes). I tried the BRS dosing pump too ... nope, not enough. So I gave up, entered my CC number at Spectrapure, closed my eyes and pressed "submit". No regrets.

V

Simple two-float switches with a relay to power a Mini Jet pump that fit nicely in a regular 5g jug

Haha. I used to have the same setup for ATO. Lasted for years. I switched to Reef Keeper controlled ATO, when I bought the RKE unit to control lights, temp, pH...

Simple two-float switches with a relay to power a Mini Jet pump that fit nicely in a regular 5g jug

Some where in my mountain of half done aquarium projects and things I meant to do, I have some float switches and relays for such a system before I gave up and just bought one.

V

Back