got ethical husbandry?

Automatic feeder suggestions

Nav

I have a 29g sumpless setup with 4 fish and a few coral. Wondering what's a good auto feeder cos I'm planning a 4 day vacation soon.

I've been feeding pallets recently and keeping an eye on how much I feed (cos I don't want to overfeed).

These are what I've seen so far. Any pro/cons or other product recommendations?

Fish Mate F14 Aquarium Fish Feeder by Fish Mate http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YK5W18/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_6fmutb0QGMGQF

EHEIM Everyday Fish Feeder Programmable Automatic Food Dispenser by Eheim http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F2117I/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Jgmutb1XKX8RW

Automatic Fish Feeder - Food Hopper Holds 35 Grams - AquaChef by Current USA (Batteries Included) by Current USA http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F7OOJG/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_5gmutb1WP4K4F

Curious on who or what is doing your top off for those 4 days? Can that person just feed the fish some pellets?

I don't have and experience with auto fish feeders so no help there but I am sure people here have used them

I have 4 of the Eheim Everyday feeders. They work great. One is even still working after my wife dropped it in the SW tank!

Unless you have an experienced fish keeper do vacation duty, I'd not trust anyone to feed the tank. The inexperienced always worry about the fish being hungry. I even hide all the food so there is no possibility of overfeeding.

Since you are only gone four days you could just skip feeding. Healthy fish have no problems with that.

I'm concerned with the amount of pallets that will drop with the Eheim. For 4 small fish, it has to be in the smallest opening and what if pallets sometime won't drop with that size opening? Of what if it over drops?

Find someone close that has one and go check it out.
Start to use it before you need to rely on it.
They have adjustable opening to limit food output.
Keep in mind to use only the same size of pellet.

Reactions: Nav
I started feeding when I had two small clowns in the tank. I used a bit of tape to adjust and secure the opening. All you gotta do is run it sitting on a piece of white paper to see how much dumps.

And +1 to Erin. You don't want to put it on your tank just as you are walking out the door!

It's so much easier to feed many small meals with it. I use it all the time. I can still add frozen or nori when I'm home. The tank gets a small amount of food often. More like life on the reef.

I had one or those aquachef ones (last link), except the generic resun brand. It worked okay but after a couple years rusted out and died.

I used to use that along with an eheim to provide multiple daily feedings to my 140g. I alternated between pellets and algae flakes.

The eheim seemed better built but the one I had didn't have a nice way to mount it on the side if the tank...

Depending on how things float around a feeding rind to drop the food into is a good idea.

On my old 140g I built a mesh funnel around the sump return pump inlet and had the food dump there. Then it would be spread out allover the tank. Oddly the mini brittle stars found the mesh come to be a great place to live so I had to shake out the literally hundreds of mini brittle stars from there every now and then or they'd grab all the food. Hah

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have the Eheim. The smallest opening is way too big, but there are ways to fix that problem. I taped it between totally closed and the first "click", then I folded up a post it note and blocked 1/2 of the remaining opening. I also mix 1/2 pellets and 1/2 freeze dried cyclopeze. Between all those things it doses the right amount of food for my four fish.

Reactions: Nav
Got my Eheim today and it's pretty cool. Tested the small opening with small pellets and it's way too much for the 4 fish I got...

Did some tweaking (tape and a match stick) and set it up to feed twice a day now. Will report back after my vacation.

Thanks everyone for inputs.

Back