Cali Kid Corals

Avast Marine Kalk Stirrer

Corallus

Supporting Member
I've got an Avast Marine kalk stirrer (on the right) that I will not be using, and would like to pass on to someone who would like it. Seems like a nice way to dose kalk, but I'm doing 2 part and don't plan to go that route. It does work, but the motor is kind of noisy - and I don't see an easy way to change that - thus, free.

I believe it's the K1 model here http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/kalk-stirrer

KZ and avast.jpg

Awesome generosity! That is not that cheap of a piece of equipment. I got the K2(?) model (wider) and do love it, much better design than pump powered ones (IMO).

That said, I would use it with 2 part since I believe the kalk drip can help with phosphate issues too.

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking. Not sure why, but I did not consider using both kalk and 2 part. My only annoyance with the stirrer is the noisy motor, and no apparent way to access it for cleaning/lubricating. But if it's in my sump, I may not really hear it...

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking. Not sure why, but I did not consider using both kalk and 2 part. My only annoyance with the stirrer is the noisy motor, and no apparent way to access it for cleaning/lubricating. But if it's in my sump, I may not really hear it...
No way to access it? Mine (granted the build your own) has the top on loose and specifically said do not glue. Maybe early versions had some bugs to work out?

Can anyone explain to me what kalk and 2 part dosing is. I'm new to the hoppy and would love to learn. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specifically said do not glue.
that makes a lot of sense, but mine came to me very well sealed up. Does give me hope if I decide I'd like one of these down the road. And I've been thinking about adding kalk to my setup all day now... But this one is still too loud to live with me in a small SF apartment.

Can anyone explain to me what kalk and 2 part dosing is
We can chat when you pick up the rock from me tomorrow. I'm no expert, but hopefully I can tell you enough to give you an idea. Bulk Reef Supply has a nice series of videos that describe things like this, and a lot more http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video.

I think I hot glued the top on mine. You may be able to pull it apart. Ask avast if there is a trick.

That was my first post.

Back