Neptune Aquatics

AWC Auto Water Changer (Plus ATO) - AutoAqua

I used to be all about the AWC systems but now I don’t see them as being very useful. I never saw much benefit when I was running mine but maybe I didn’t change enough water. I felt like I was wasting good water.

I think they can be useful if you just want to press a button to do a 10G change and then not think too much about it. But water changes are how I get most of the really nasty stuff out via siphoning so in that sense not so much.

That said, wonder why it comes with 3 DC pumps, 1 to pump out, 1 to pump in, another as a backup?

I think they can be useful if you just want to press a button to do a 10G change and then not think too much about it. But water changes are how I get most of the really nasty stuff out via siphoning so in that sense not so much.

That said, wonder why it comes with 3 DC pumps, 1 to pump out, 1 to pump in, another as a backup?
1 salt water in
1 salt water out
1 fresh water in

Usefulness really depends a lot on tank size and your laziness factor.
If you have a 300G system, that is a lot of buckets to carry, and it is easy to put it off for another week...

On the same boat. I do whole lotta things during WC, from blasting specific areas of the tank to siphoning special places where detritous build up more, aka semi dead space (in terms of flow). Automating something like this with reef-pi will be trivial actually, but I just dont know if it adds much value (similar to salinity and orp probes :-/ )

Back