Reef nutrition

Baby Bangaii...maybe

Just as I suspected a week or two ago my male bangaii was holding eggs again. After a week or so I dismissed it as he must have spit the eggs out which is what he usually does.

I decided to clean the glass (boy, have I've been lazy) and was admiring how clean the water was. It's amazing how much cleaning the glass makes such a difference =).

To my surprise I was looking at the male banger and sure enough he's holding and aerating eggs in his mouth. At this point, I'm thinking this is a new batch ...umm...nope! Them eggs got little eyes staring at me.

Cripes!

I'm leaving on vacation in the middle of this week and won't be back till a week later. Anyone know if once the eggs hatch - my calculations say they should hatch when I'm on vacation - how long before the male spits them out?

Eileen, congrats!!! Bad news, if you can see the eyes inside the mouth, it will be ready anytime now. Males "hold" between 18-21 days.

Do you have a fuge with enough chaeto for the babies to hide in? Take a chance ... the night before you leave for vacation, try to catch the male and have him spit in the net/fuge. I've tried other ways, the most successful is to sneak up on the tank with a strong flashlight and "freeze" the male with the light. He can then be scooped out with a net. Put him in the fuge, and he'll spit the babies for sure. After he's rested put him back in the main tank; you might find stragglers there. The babies might survive on their own if there's lot of pods in the chaeto/fuge.

good luck. BTW, is one of the parents from my brood?

I came home four days later when I last posted, and the male must have spit them out. Oh well, usually if I fatten them back up with frozen they'll start to breed again.

The male will only frozen mysis, and brine. He will eat Arctic Pods if he not being extra finicky. The female will eat dry, frozen, and Arctic Pods.

They seem to breed a couple of weeks later after I feed exclusively frozen brine and/or mysis.

Weird, huh.

Well, the male is carrying eggs again as of Sunday at least - so I guess this time around (hopefully there might be babies). On the other hand, I am supposed to be going away again in four weeks.

Umm. oh oh...

What the heck...the reef gods/almighty/powers that be seem to like cursing me this year.

Well, the male is carrying eggs again as of Sunday at least - so I guess this time around (hopefully there might be babies). On the other hand, I am supposed to be going away again in four weeks.

Umm. oh oh...

What the heck...the reef gods/almighty/powers that be seem to like cursing me this year.

Umm. oh oh...

I could take on some lil ones as well :D How large do yah think they'll be when you gonna leave? BBS eating size? Rotifer eating size?

Anyone have any clue as to how to identify males vs females? I'd like to get a mate for "Little Jimmy" and see if I can't get them to spawn!

(I'm just assuming Little Jimmy is a 'he').

V

No idea. I bought four from JimSar - once they paired up they killed the smallest one and kept chasing the the other one.

The female is actually bigger than the male

Raddogz said:
Hmmm...assuming they get spit out. They should be born around the 21'st or so of September, maybe a little earlier.

Eeks, count me out. I'll be in Houston for MACNA that week :(

Eileen, are the bangies in your reef?

I really like them, but I'm afraid they can't handle the massive flow in my SPS tank taht I'm building.

Back