Jestersix

badbreads (jay's) wanna be a big tank but rent so i have a 14g tank thread

Here it is, my little 14G biocube baby. ( most of thread copied from my tank thread at nano-reef, http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162246 )

I'll start with a couple full tank shots so you can decide
if you want to waste your time reading the rest of this:

DSC03481.JPG

Tank setup on 03/29/08:
• Oceanic BioCube 14
images

• Setup with 40lbs. live sand, ~25 lbs. live rock, tap water to start (f'ing noob I am, only RO/DI now)

Equipment:
• Sunpod 150W MH
• 18W PC light for fuge
• Wiring nightmare... :scarry:
topfts.JPG

• Iceprobe chiller w/controller module
chiller.JPG

• Modified biocube skimmer w/upgraded air pump, DIY HERE
skimmod.JPG

• Maxijet 900 for return line w/hydorflo
• 3 Korallia Nano's
images

R.A.I.T w/cheap digi coralife, cheap alcohol therm, stick on glass therm, pinpoint therm
• 50W Stealth heater
• 150W Stealth heater
JBJ ATO (returned because defective)
• Tunze ATO

Mods:
• False floor removed in chamber 1 & 2 (C1 & C2),
• Bioballs removed, cheato and 2 rubble pieces of live rock (for the little critters to hang on to) in chamber 2
• Overflow between chamber 1 & 2 widened
• Hood removed for Sunpod
• Modified C2 grate (yes thats a BIC pen cap) explained here
traymod.JPG

• Paint scrapped off behind C2 w/18W cheap PC light for cheato (on reverse timer from main lights)

Livestock:
• Bernard the cleaner shrimp (shy at the moment, well not really but no pic so a shy girl in a bikini will have to do for now)
• 6 line wrasse
• Rosevelt the bicolor blenny
• Rosalita the true percula
fish.JPG

rosevelt.JPG

• Many inverts including Astrea, blue and red hermits, nassarius, stomatella, mini brittles, the usual suspects basically

Corals:
• 2 patches of GSP
• Frilly, red, red w/blue spot, purple, bright green, red w/green frilly mushrooms, big brown/white yuma's, more
greenshroom.JPG

yuma.JPG

• Candy cane
candycane.JPG

• Random zoanthids
zoa.JPG

• Colt coral
colt.JPG

• Montipora
monti.JPG

• Favia
favia.JPG

• Tubs blue zoa's
• Vivid green apple monti cap
• Vivid purple rim green monti cap
• Huge colony of random zoa's
zoamorph1.jpg

Upkeep:
• Usually weekly to bi-weekly water changes, about 2.5-4 gallons
• Frozen mysis 4-5 times a week
• Cyclopeeze
• Spectrum pellets 3 times a week
• Daily top-off of about 20-26 ounces
• Turkey basting every other day or so
• Filter pads changed when they turn brown (2-3 days)
• Powerhead, heater, skimmer cleaned during water change
• 2 of 3 sides of glass cleaned regurlarly with magnet cleaner, right glass never cleaned (want to see what grows on it)

Another current FTS, I need to keep my hands out of there for a while:
lowfts2.JPG

Semi new FTS and other shots:

Borrowed my friends Nikon D50, didn't think the shots came out as good as the Canon but here you go:

Orange and yellow Zoa's
DSC_3422.JPG

Top down shot
DSC_3435.JPG

Super man mushroom I think
DSC_3440.JPG

Bernard on my "orange ricordea" -_-
DSC_3450.JPG

FTS
DSC_3468.JPG

FTS
DSC_3492.JPG

Side shot
DSC_3512.JPG

So I added a Vortech MP20 to the tank and removed the 3 Koralia nano's.

DSC03456.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5bwxfbicPE

What do I like most about the MP20?

My corals response to it. I have never seen my frilly mushrooms so plump and happy!!! My unknown SPS frag only use to show about 3-4 polyp's and now there are 15+, my Zoa's are fatter and longer than ever and I can actually see the polyps now on my orange/red/err pink monti cap.

This thing is amazing!

I am using it in reef crest mode, I saved a wave making setting that is pretty cool but the best response by far is in the preset reef crest mode.

I have read that yuma's are much more sensitive than standard rics. You may find a reefer nearby that can house it for you. My yuma's are fat and happy but my tank is more than a year old and I feed them well. I was planning on posting some of my spare rics up to see if anyone wants to trade some. pm me if interested. (sorry for the derailing :))

I may ask that someone house my Christmas favia for me. Tank is getting super cramped and the favia is getting way to much flow. I'm going to try and make a low flow home for it somewhere but I have a feeling I just don't have the room.

i never could differentiate between high flow and low flow. i mean aside from the obvious, if in the general vicinity of a powerhead, id assume that its high flow, but low flow meaning like on the floor of the tank, or somewhere not near a powerhead is low flow?

Well it depends. If you have flow pointing to the corder of your tank for example you may get strong flow in the bottom of that corner even though it's no where near it. You could get the same effect if you have a tower of rock deflecting flow or 2 sources of flow aimed at each other you could get turbulent flow in the middle all the way to the bottom of your tank. So basically let your corals tell you. To be honest I don't have it all figured out but I just try and let the coral tell me. No I'm not the coral whisperer either :) I just try to make sure they seem happy.

Few more pics:

$25 zoa rock:
DSC03490.JPG

DSC03464.JPG

Latest FTS:
DSC03481.JPG

Just fragged a few polyp's of each of the 4 kinds on that $25 zoa rock a couple nights ago, the yellow polyp's and the orange center zoa's. Hope to DBTC them soon!!

And a video to the vortech on my tank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5bwxfbicPE

Also moved the favia out of a very high flow area to a low/medium flow area with some decent light, hoping it turns around and comes back.

Not planning on selling them but definitely want to get into the DBTC way of things. This was my first time fragging zoa's so we'll see how it goes. So far so good though, I think I did pretty good on all but one frag, looks like I cut one polyp in half... :( They are all opening up and attached securely on the LR rubble. We'll see what happens.

Back