Reef nutrition

badbreads (jays) yay I got a bigger tank but its still small because I rent tank

Well here goes, tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks. I'm still holding off putting in any real livestock or serious corals for probably a month or so. Clean-up crew added last week after a huge diatom spike

· Tank picked up and begun to setup on October 14th
· All live rock was either dry or bleached and oxicleaned
· "Dead" sand was used for the sandbed, seeded with a couple scoops of "live" sand out of my BC14
· Rock seeded with rocks that have been seeding in my BC14 chamber 2
· Vortech MP20 going to be moved into this tank eventually
· Tank is a JBJ 28g

FTS:
DSC03912.JPG

Pics of the cabinet:
DSC03916.JPG

DSC03915.JPG

Coolworks chiller with my custom acrylic silencer:
DSC03937.JPG

DSC03936.JPG

Return mod to keep flow moving behind the rocks:
DSC03935.JPG

Cooling for those really hot days:
DSC03972.JPG

DSC03973.JPG

Custom acitinic light mod:
DSC03869.JPG

I like how you posted your testing instructions where they are easily accessible. I might have to borrow your idea in the future. :D

Looks like it is going to be a great tank!

Thanks for the compliments all, had the day off today and had some time to play around after lots of errands. For some reason my P.O.S. Sony point and shoot was taking some nice photos today, as close to the actual color of stuff I have ever seen with this camera.

FTS:
DSC03984.JPG

DSC03990.JPG

Acan colony I want to frag when I have some time:
DSC04038.JPG

DSC04045.JPG

Favia'ish colony Sergio fragged last meeting:
DSC04044.JPG

One of my favorite corals:
DSC04046.JPG

Purple shrooms:
DSC04048.JPG

Pink monti cap mommie:
DSC04050.JPG

Very cool Jay!

Looks like you have the 28g JBI HQ150, which is what I have. Had mine for about 1.5 years or so now. I too did the actinic mod and really like it. This tank definitely needs the chiller so that was a good move. I like the way you placed the rocks, if I had to do mine over again I wouldn't have so many in the tank as it has made cleaning a bit of a bugger.

Another mod that I did to mine, was to get rid of the skimmer that came with the tank and installed a Remora on the back. I had problems with keeping the stock skimmer mounted on the flimsy mount that it came with. Perhaps they've improved it since I got mine (it was one of the first ones on the market).

I like the way you did the mod to the return, I'm thinking I might do something like that to mine as well.

Looks Great!

FYI GSP WILL make your like hell when it grows over everything. Mushrooms can so the same thing. I am still trying to get rid of some blue ones I took out of my tank almost 4 years ago.

How hellish are we talking? If we are talking like the yellow polyp hell I'm going through right now then I'm taking that patch out, dousing it in gasoline, smashing it with a baseball bat, backing over it with my car, setting it on fire, then peeing on it.

Great tank Jay! I love the rockwork and placement of the corals. Great cave effect. Is your Candy cane that yellow?

Personally, I like GSP and mushrooms, although I know that they can grow to plague proportions. I was told that if your GSP gets too large, you could stick it next to an even more aggresive coral to help beat it into submission. Now, I have mine next to hammer coral to see if this really works. I also have a mostly mushroom tank so I don't have to worry about them growing over delicate stony corals. :)

Some updates:

Added some more rock to the tank, moved some things around, added some things.

Need an ID on this, got it at the BAR meeting from Max:
DSC04123.JPG

Best picture I could get of some new Yuma's I picked up:
DSC04146.JPG

Red Blasto mommy:
DSC04129.JPG

Took some night shots tonight. Turned off every single light emitting object in my place, turned off all flow and took some pics with my PoS Sony point and shoot:

5 second exposure:
DSC04194.JPG

10 second exposure:
DSC04194.JPG

hungry hungry acans, 10 second exposure:
DSC04196.JPG

LPS corner, 30 second exposure:
DSC04217.JPG

Also here is a cool image sequence, as I was going through all the pics in Picasa I noticed it, it's short but kind of cool:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7ChPmxgl_N-ghFTMJY4yxg

For some reason, I can see your first two pictures, but not the others :(

Looks like your tank is moving right along and looking great! It was also good to finally meet you in person. Everyone in SF gets to meet my husband first. :) And thanks for all the neat frags! :D

Thanks for reposting, they look great! I also like the sequences. but your Avatar kills me. LOL ;D I can hardly look at it w/o cracking up!

Got a RK2 for Christmas and thought I'd share the cool web feature it has on my tank page. The MyReef software turns my laptop in this case into a webserver and updates the pictures every few seconds.

Current stats:
Current.png

PH Graph:
PHGraph.png

Temp Graph:
TempGraph.png

Hey man that looks like EE work there, I'm a fizzycist :D

BTW you graphs did pop up.

Been trying to do something similar with my AC3, while I can see the stuff from any computer, I need to brag n' all :D

Back