Reef nutrition

band saw

Coral reefer

Past President
Ive been thinking about getting a saw soon...Want to make sure I get a pretty good one that will work well and last for a decent price. Locally is preferable. Any ideas? I know screebo loves his griffin...I think the other common brand is in land, anybody got one and like or dislike it? Other issues are setup time, portability, replacement blade/maintenance cost?

Mike

The Inland Bandsaw is affordable and works wel for the hobbiest. Not the best, but best in the price range (cheapish). Blades aren't cheap, so make sure the unit comes with a spare.

Not sure if they are still stocked, but Robert (Neptune) and Karson (Aquatic Collection) carried them.

The inland works fine but can have issues if overused. I have never had problems with mine other then the typical blade breaking or having to replace the guides (which is pretty par for the course). That said, I think Karson (Aquatic Collection) and Robert (Neptune) have had issues with them overheating with major amounts of use.

Someone was telling me (don't remember who) that Inland now has one designed specifically for saltwater use with less metal and more plastic.

THe reef one replaces the metal table surface with a plastic one . Not that I had a problem with the Aluminum plate.

Inland one works fine for me. No breakage of blade or guides, but I don't use it a lot. I use the dremel w/ diamond tipped cutter as much as the bandsaw since less setup w/ Dremel. The more valuable the piece, more likely I'll bandsaw though.

seminolecpa said:
The inland works fine but can have issues if overused. I have never had problems with mine other then the typical blade breaking or having to replace the guides (which is pretty par for the course). That said, I think Karson (Aquatic Collection) and Robert (Neptune) have had issues with them overheating with major amounts of use.

Someone was telling me (don't remember who) that Inland now has one designed specifically for saltwater use with less metal and more plastic.

I also believe they changed the warranty on both the reef version and the non.

seminolecpa said:

Might have been me. The SW version is the DFS-100. Oz Corals on ebay were selling the for $209 w/ free shipping. Also the warranty is different like Gresham mentioned.

Gomer said:
Warranty void if used in conjunction with water ? :p

From what I've read if you use the DB100 with saltwater the warranty is void. The warranty is not void with the DFS100. Like I said though... this is what I've read on other forums....

sfboarders said:
GreshamH said:

Please describe.
OK I will do the leg work since I assume your fingers are broken and you're typing with your tongue :)

Google brought me to Inland's website which is fairly user friendly.

DFS-100 ReefKeeper
http://www.inlandcraft.com/uguides/UG91060R2.pdf
Warranty and Service
The DFS-100™ ReefKeeper™ Band Saw is covered by a 90 Day Warranty. This warranty is granted by INLAND CRAFT
PRODUCTS, CO. for 90 days from the original date of purchase. If your Inland machine fails under appropriate use during
the warranty period, Inland Craft will repair or replace it at our discretion. If you feel that this product is not performing
properly and needs to be serviced, contact INLAND CRAFT for a Return Authorization Number:

DB-100
http://www.inlandcraft.com/Uguides/UGdb100R8.pdf
NONE of the saws listed in this guide are suitable for use as a Frag Saw. Use with or in a salt
water environment will ruin the machine and doing so in any manner will void the warranty!
Aquarists and similar, please use the Inland DFS-100 ReefKeeper™ saw, Inland no. 91060.
The user guide does not give the actual warranty so you have to go to the product description and hit the warranty there
http://www.inlandcraft.com/PIsheets/2yr_warranty.htm
Two Year Full-Confidence Warranty

This warranty is granted by INLAND CRAFT PRODUCTS, CO. for two years from the original date of purchase. If your Inland machine fails under appropriate use during the warranty period, Inland Craft will repair or replace it at our discretion. Inland Craft guarantees to replace (after receipt and inspection) your saw blade, if the diamond cutting surface peels off due to any manufacturing defect. If you feel that this product is not performing properly and needs to be serviced, contact INLAND CRAFT for a Return Authorization Number:

Short of the long, ReefKeeper is 90 days
and the DB-100 is two years
. That is a massive difference.

Tell me about it. I just replaced my iphone screen today, and the headphone jack assembly and the headphone jack is WORSE!

Can't wait until september when my contract expires and I get to buy a different phone.

Oh, on topic, you guys have officially talked me out of an inland saw. Hmm, now I can afford my new phone.

Back