Reef nutrition

BAR April 11th Meeting featuring Charles Delbeek

BAR April 11th Meeting featuring Charles Delbeek from The California Academy of Sciences

Our next general meeting on April 11th @ 1:00 will be held a Chabot College http://tinyurl.com/b3j8nk it will feature Charles Delbeek from the Waikiki Aquarium and The California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate park.

Charles was gracious enough to prepare and combine two of his presentations since they are very relevant to our clubs mission.

Collecting and Shipping Live Coral: Techniques, Tips and Headaches

Abstract:

With the advent of modern air travel and an increase in flight connections to
remote tropical locations, the transport of live coral across the world is
now a commonplace event. However, there are still hurdles to overcome and not
every type of coral responds equally to the stress of shipping. This paper
will cover some of the most common methods used today to transport live coral
fragments, both hard and soft, via boat, truck or air. Topics will include
collection and handling concerns, pre-shipment preparation, packing
techniques and acclimation. In addition, the importance of proper collecting
protocols and acquiring the necessary permits also are discussed.

Also presented will be the History of Coral Propagation at the Waikiki Aquarium

This should prove to be very interesting presentation especially coming from someone with so many years in the hobby, as well as coauthoring some of the most groundbreaking and influential books on reefkeeping to date, Charles is a great asset for us here in the Bay Area.

I've been very apprehensive about shipping corals (and is why I have never done it). This should shed some good light on the subject for me. The other info should equally rock!

Didn't he do a presentation on clams too? Can he add a few slides on that? Please......Jeremy I will get you a new printer. : )

He does do a presentation on clams, it's 50 minutes though so that would take up the entire event. We opted for piggybacking two of the smaller presentations since they seem to be very relevant to us.

I would like to woo James Fatheree out to speak again, I don't know how active in speaking he is anymore, I'll have to ask Gresham.... Gresham? :D

I'm looking forward to this! :D I used to see their display coral prop tank outside in full sunlight at the Waikiki Aquarium. Pretty amazing. :D

All of the rooms that we've looked at so far have been within 50' of one another, we may use a a classroom with desks and a screen that in the building next to the cafeteria, it seems to be the best option for doing presentations.

Parking lot B on the south west end is where you'll see signage and a bunch of reef lookin' people migrating to the room, it's really not that large a campus.

[quote author=corals b 4 bills link=topic=6537.msg84175#msg84175 date=1235532493]
Dang, jeremys got some pull with the biggies, delbeek, feathery, biden :p.
[/quote]

I was watching Joe tonight, he looks much more smug than he did trolling for votes out in front of Pathmark Supermarket.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6537.msg84162#msg84162 date=1235528787]
Parking lot B on the south west end is where you'll see signage and a bunch of reef lookin' people migrating to the room, it's really not that large a campus.
[/quote]

sweet thanks, cant wait. sounds like its gonna b good. never been there before, but im sure it wont be that much different than CSUEB parking lot layouts.

You'll be good, I'll send Mikey out to the parking lot to direct traffic, he can smoke a bunch of ciggies and enjoy himself while we figure out which room will work :D

General meetings are open to the public. However, its member dues that allow us to bring in awesome speakers, so if you think it's worth it please consider a membership!

Back