Kessil

BAR booth and display tanks in maker faire?

I was thinking how cool it will be if we could have a bar booth and some coral display in the bay area makerfair. It's one of the biggest gathering of hobbyists, makers and innovators. They get lots of aquaponicd and other hobby related booths. I bet people will be amazed to see corals. It will be awesome community outreach, as well as some good advertisement for our forum.

Do they? Never actually been to one, they just are so damn expensive for ticket prices, and IIRC they don't allow parking there which sucks because it's not like there's street parking outside the Expo center.

Do they? Never actually been to one, they just are so damn expensive for ticket prices, and IIRC they don't allow parking there which sucks because it's not like there's street parking outside the Expo center.

Are we talking about the same thing here?
http://makerfaire.com/bay-area/

I think the logistic of bringing in anything beyond pico/frag tank is just too much of a hassle. There are many far easier outlet that we have not used for outreach (other forum, craiglist, other facebook group) if we care to promote and expand the club.

That is the same Makerfaire I was thinking, which is why I was confused about it too. But having never been I dunno what the logistics are there or who your target audience is, i would think it would be a bunch of people that regularly make the trek to Burning man and/or people like the old-Mythbusters guys.

It seems like it might be of interest if there were some DIY lights, controllers, and so on.
But for a normal reef aquarium, I just don't see it.

My bet: the aquaponics interest is probably more about home pot growing.

They do have parking. I don't think FB or other things will give exposure as big as makerfaire. They do have some burning man style stuff/crowd, but over all its very family friendly event. Over 50% of the attendees bring their kids (as par the website). In terms of exhibits, they have a lot larger maker/hobbyists crowd, from garden railway to bee keepers, from DIY electronics to lock picking workshop. I have attended the past two maker fair, with my family, and everyone loves it (can be due to fired vegetables). I personally love the 3d printer & fabrication stuff.

I was thinking of setting up pico tanks only. It's only for displaying corals.

Among all other hobbies, I think reef keeping really crosses the boundary of life science (coral, fish, inverts), chemistry, DIY plumbing/wood work/electronics. I have not seen any other hobbies that really as revealing as reef keeping. Hence I felt this is a good place to put some exhibit.

+1 for DIY focus. I've been a few times and don't remember anything involving living things, but half the attendees would be attracted to the geeky and science aspects of the hobby. I wouldn't have thought it a good match but I guess anything could fit there.

+1 for DIY focus. I've been a few times and don't remember anything involving living things, but half the attendees would be attracted to the geeky and science aspects of the hobby. I wouldn't have thought it a good match but I guess anything could fit there.

I have never been, but I could see the fit.

So, after considering all your feedback, I had applied for an exhibit in maker faire for my DIY controller based on raspberry pi. I just got confirmation of acceptance :) .
I am planning to exhibit the reef-pi controllers (first two builds) along side tow pico tanks. I have never done anything like this, I'll need all of your feedback on whats the best way to setup the tanks, what to look for, be careful about etc.

So, after considering all your feedback, I had applied for an exhibit in maker faire for my DIY controller based on raspberry pi. I just got confirmation of acceptance :) .
I am planning to exhibit the reef-pi controllers (first two builds) along side tow pico tanks. I have never done anything like this, I'll need all of your feedback on whats the best way to setup the tanks, what to look for, be careful about etc.

Awesome! I usually like to go to the Maker Faire, so many cool toys to look at! Will be sure to check out your booth if I make it this year.

Back