BAR coral raffles?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by NelsonCh, May 15, 2019 at 3:41 AM.

1. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

I see online a lot of places do coral raffles. For example, 10 high end corals worth 500 bucks total. Instead of a person buying it for 500, the owner hosts a raffle with 20 spots @ 50dollars a spot. Once all spots are filled, there is a live generated raffle and whoever number gets generated wins the 500 dollar pack for a mere 50 bucks... heres the tweak that benefits BAR. A portion of it goes towards the owner of the coral, while the other portion goes towards funding a equipment BAR needs, a member event, or just straight cash into the BAR savings. Once an x amount of raffles are done and there is a set amount generated, BAR can host another raffle where all raffle participants get drawn into winning a trident, apex, or whatever people voted that they want raffled. Then you assign and generate numbers to names, pick the winning number and give the winner their prize!! So lets say you lost the raffle where you paid for a spot, you still have another chance to win and that spot is free!!

If there are over a hundred people participating, it could also be something like 300 spots at $1 a spot for a aussie gold torch valued at 300. Imagine the happiness of winning if you paid $1 and got an aussie gold.... If I am interested and for this, Im sure theres a handful of others that will be interested too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baykes likes this.
  2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

Great idea.
    Are you offering to do all the leg work?

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

BAR does have raffles, at events. While the donators of said corals/items don't get any money back, it basically works the same.

Also while the club making money on a raffle is one thing due to a non-profit status, having the person donating the coral getting some of the proceeds may blur the lines of illegal lottery. But I'm not a tax guy nor a law guy, so this is just blind speculation.

4. I have suggested this at BAR meetings as well. A once a month auction of donated corals or hard goods where we set-up a system that people can easily buy tickets via paypal thought the month. I also talked to Mike last week and discussed getting a Apex Triton and auctioning it off next month.

5. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

What is an Apex Triton!?!

6. sfsuphysics

Would you rather he say GHL Triton?

7. Vhuang168

No such thing either.

8. NelsonCh

great minds think alike!

9. NelsonCh

If one person is in charge of running this event, it should be easy to do. Im not sure I would be the right guy though :)

10. sfsuphysics

And Costco does not sell Kirkland Brand Kleenex either, but if you tell someone to pick some up for you they'll know exactly what you're talking about and bring back exactly you want.

11. Vhuang168

Its about precision of language. If you told someone you wanted kleenex and he went to the store and got you Kleenex brand tissues but you really wanted the Safeway brand, did they know exactly what you were talking about and what to bring you? Granted it is close to what you want but is close good enough for you?

You ask someone to buy you an GHL Triton. He walks into a store that sold Apex, GHL and Triton. Depending on what he thinks you want, you could end up with a GHL KH Director, a Triton ICP kit or additives, an Apex Trident or nothing at all.

JVU likes this.
  12. NelsonCh

I blame Bruce for not being clear and precise. I nominate him to be raffle coordinator.

13. Yep. Got the name wrong @Vhuang168 , but that reminds me why are you guys named after the shop in San Jose?

14. Vhuang168

You will have to ask someone paid more than me why that name was chosen. Neptune Systems and Neptune Aquatics are 2 different names. Tell someone you are going to Neptune, most will assume you mean Neptune Aquatics but what you are going to Neptune Systems!?!

15. sfsuphysics

Or it's Bruce, he said the word Apex, and then some word that started with T and everyone knew exactly what he was talking about. No one is going to ever throw Apex in front if they mean Triton ICP testing. And if you really did mean the Triton ICP test kit, and you get slapped with a $600 bill for buying a Trident, well that's your own damn fault :D

Baykes likes this.
  16. JVU

JVU BOD

This would be completely legit if the amount we paid to the person or company donating the corals/fish is set ahead of time. We are allowed to purchase things and then raffle them, we already do that with Neptune Systems Apex equipment for example.

But in the case of livestock from a member, I would think the amount we would pay (if any) would not be retail price, but rather an amount that just tries to cover their costs.

Like a lot of good ideas, we would just need someone to take responsibility to organize it.

17. NelsonCh

Maybe im not overthinking it enough but it seems pretty simple to coordinate.. cost basis of a coral is too complicated to calculate. It would be easier to have a piece extremely cheaper than retail and have a consensus that whoever’s offering up that piece is really donating it for the price they are offering it to the club at. That would, in theory, motivate healthy competition of what people offer and a wide variety of raffle items.

Example:

Someone could sell the club an og bounce for 200. thats super cheap and its a highly sought after coral. The club can have a drawing of 20 spots at 30 dollars or 40 spots for 15. Max slot purchases are 2. Total proceeds once filled is 600 dollars. 200 is cost, time is volunteered, and 400 goes towards the club. thats one raffle. Do 2 raffles, assuming profit is the same, and we have enough for all participants to be entered into a free raffle from all previous raffle participants. That allows a 600 dollar value prize and the club still saves 200 for rainy day funds.

Then again, if there needs to be bigger profit margins for whatever reason, it can be adjusted.

The issue of colluding and all that other unethical crap can happen but I dont think it maximizes efficiency to get into until its an issue. Focus on product, raffle, club profit, and community involvement/satisfaction.

18. sfsuphysics

Find someone with a kid, live stream the drawing to all, and have the kid pick the raffle ticket, just make sure said person isnt in the raffle

19. NelsonCh

and a disclaimer stating “supporting members only” and “no dubby downers if you dont win.”

I can already imagine rushing home on a Monday night for a local coral raffle. No worrying about scams and no worrying about shipping/photoshoppers. Instead of rushing home for that tv show, game match, or home cooked meal.... you can now rush home to see that drawing of a sweet coral piece youve always wanted and paying 1/10 of the original price for a chance to get it. People hate Mondays for a reason.... this is a leap for someone to like Mondays! :)