BAR Group Buys?

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by LeviT, Sep 17, 2007.

1. LeviT

LeviT Guest

[size=10pt]EDIT:[/size]
    I'm sorry but I jumped the gun on creating this thread. I might try and put something together in the future but not at this time. Thanks for those who responded!

[size=10pt]Original Post[/size]
    Does the club ever run any group buy's? I joined another club when I first got into the hobby and they recently did a cleaning crew group by at reeftopia and the prices were awesome but it didn't work for me (too far). I'd be more than happy to put one together if folks are interested? Check out their lot prices, LFS can't compete with .25 for hermit crabs and $2 for scarlets just to name a few and the more we order the cheaper the prices.

http://reeftopia.com/completecatalog-a.htm

This is just a suggestion. I'm sure we could probably find some deals on the items we all use like carbon, reactor material and test supplies. I support my LFS as much as possible but if we can save some $$ on these daily supplies that leaves more $$ for getting live stock from your LFS. At least that's my 2 cents.

BOD, let me know if this isn't something you want going on. I didn't see anything under policies but jic.

If there is enough interest and the BOD is ok with it we can start posting orders on this thread and I'll throw everything into a spread sheet. Everyone could pick their order up at my house on like 9/27 or a date that most folks think they can make it? I work from home so me being here to recieve it a split the order up won't be a problem.

2. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

Levi,

The club does do group buys but someone has to take the lead and collect funds and distributes the product.

3. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Thanks. Does that mean someone from the BOD has to take the lead? I'm cool with that, less work for me :) Even if that's not the case, if someone more central (and with a longer track record with BAR) wants to head it up I won't be offended. I just didn't see any threads on group buys and I know cleaning crews needs replenished every once in a while.

4. Apon

Apon Volunteer

No its doesn't have to be done by a BOD member. You can post interest here and see if anyone else wants to participate. You can read some of the other group buys as well in the past. It does take alot of work to organize and distribute buys...trust me I done them myself. Good luck.

5. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Thanks. I'll see if I get any bites. I did a search for group buys and didn't see any treads come back in this section and I'm still finding my way around and didn't realize this was here util my thread was moved.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2414.msg24514#msg24514 date=1190064486]
    No its doesn't have to be done by a BOD member. You can post interest here and see if anyone else wants to participate. You can read some of the other group buys as well in the past. It does take alot of work to organize and distribute buys...trust me I done them myself. Good luck.
    [/quote]

6. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2414.msg24506#msg24506 date=1190060978]
    Does the club ever run any group buy's?[/quote]

Hi Levi,

Here's some info from our main forum page.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2414.msg24506#msg24506 date=1190060978]I'd be more than happy to put one together if folks are interested? Check out their lot prices, LFS can't compete with .25 for hermit crabs and $2 for scarlets just to name a few and the more we order the cheaper the prices.[/quote]

We like to encourage members to give the LFS a chance for the business. You can check locally for special orders. Even if you don't get rock bottom pricing, it's the LFS and local businesses, and not the out of state online businesses, that have been the big supporters of BAR.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2414.msg24511#msg24511 date=1190063021]
    Thanks. Does that mean someone from the BOD has to take the lead? I'm cool with that, less work for me :) [/quote]

The BOD does not have to take the lead, and it's probably better that they don't! Members are free to organize group buys on their own.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2414.msg24511#msg24511 date=1190063021]I just didn't see any threads on group buys and I know cleaning crews needs replenished every once in a while.
    [/quote]

Some of the members have been very successful running large systems without cleaning crews!

7. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Thanks Norman.

8. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

Levi
    In past there have been several cleanup crew group buys by members teachermark and by Nicholas aka crazyreefer. FYI you might try post on Reef Central BAR forum also and link your thread to here to gather interest.

9. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Also you may want to start a new thread with a better title so people will see that first.

10. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=2414.msg24526#msg24526 date=1190076928]
    Levi
    In past there have been several cleanup crew group buys by members teachermark and by Nicholas aka crazyreefer. FYI you might try post on Reef Central BAR forum also and link your thread to here to gather interest.
    [/quote]

I would ask them how it went for them as well, especially on the cleaner crew tip ;)

11. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Thanks for the advice but I think I jumped the gun. I'll get used to navigating on this forum and get a feel for how things work. That way I'll be more prepared next time. I'll update my original post to that effect.

12. Elite

Elite Guest

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2414.msg24534#msg24534 date=1190078387]
    [quote author=dswong01 link=topic=2414.msg24526#msg24526 date=1190076928]
    Levi
    [/quote]

I would ask them how it went for them as well, especially on the cleaner crew tip ;)
    [/quote]

$50 for 100 dead snails .... Gotta love it ... Last time I bought snails/live stock online.

13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Heheh Phong, but it's only 50 cents a piece!

As much as the whole "I need 50 (whatever) as clean up crews" sound it really isn't that necessary. If you have food that needs to be eaten up a handful of hermits can do it, a handful of those nassarius(??) snails, whatever is more than sufficient (and if you have bristleworms most likely you already have a decent crew with that regards). Algae? I dunno how well 50 cheap cerith/asterea snails will do once they do eat everything up, a few larger snails might do the same job but not as quickly. It's all a give & take, heck I still think online places advertise a clean up crew being 1 snail & 1 hermit, per gallon, along with bristle stars, cucumbers, etc.

But yeah like Gresham said.. ask those who have done it. Nicolas wasn't very happy, he did it out of the kindness of his heart and it was a major PITA for him, he even lost money on the deal as well. So just remember he who gets a groupbuy together is left holding all the bags (no pun) when something goes wrong. Besides AFAIK you don't get any REALLY good deals on these things unless you order in the thousands.

14. bookfish

bookfish Guest

Which leads to people buying way more animals than they need for the job, just to get the "good deal" But after those 500 snails eat all your algae in 1 week and start dying off and rereleasing those nutrients into your tank, you may not be so psyched. The "good deal" really isn't a good deal for either hobbyists or animals. To avoid this problem you may want to sneak up on your total cleaner crew needs 1 or 2 anumals at a time. I personally find this wholesale slaughter model to be distressing.

15. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

So true.

I think I have a handful of snails that I bought locally that turned out to be a better investment than the large clean-up crews that were purchased before. The handful of snails are still around while the group buy ones have long since died.

16. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Thanks for the input. With the exception of when I started my tank up I never added more than a dozen snails or crab at a time either so that's good to know.