Cali Kid Corals

BAR Meeting April 9th featuring Randy Reed from Reed Mariculture

GreshamH said:
Some people may not know Reed Mariculture produces the Reef Nutrition product line along with several aquaculture lines of feeds :D
I do need another large container of Mysis Feast! :bigsmile:

Hmm 1.5 hours till meeting and I'm already in the area... Anything close by worth checking out before the meeting? (LFS, etc) within a few minutes drive?

It was definitely nice meeting some of you there for my first meeting... I definitely am looking forward to BAYMAC

Thanks for having me today...

So he went to lengths to say growing micro algae wasn't worth it time and effort wise because they sell it for $10, but isn't the same argument valid for rotifeast? I know live vs. Dead, but $20 is still pretty cheap...

Well if you're feeding fish larvae, you want the live rotifer culture on hand. And you keep the culture refreshed by dumping the harvest into your reef tank.

Coral reefer said:
So he went to lengths to say growing micro algae wasn't worth it time and effort wise because they sell it for $10, but isn't the same argument valid for rotifeast? I know live vs. Dead, but $20 is still pretty cheap...

Haters gonna hate....

I believe the reason microalgae was discouraged, is because in their container of microalgae they have multiple kinds of algae... Where as if you grew it at home, 99% of the time you would end up with cross contamination of the different algae's and 1 specific type would snuff out all the rest... Ruining your growth...

Buying in the container you get the multiple forms of algae without the hassle...

Rotifers on the other hand are the dominate species because of their growth / breeding / harvesting pattern so if cross contamination from another source happened it wouldn't matter...

In the long run growing rotifers would save you time and money... Growing algae would be a headache and not save you time and money...

sfsuphysics said:
I'd like to have a vacation from my tank occasionally, so no roties for me :D

Actually Randy outlined how to deal with your rotifer culture when you leave for vacation, so no excuses for you Mike.... Now get to work! :D

Coral reefer said:

Yes and no. A huge benefit to Roti-Feast or course is you can add the amount you need, no waste.. but the real difference is the gut packing/egg count. Our system produces a lot more eggs per rotifer then a hobbyist culture will produce. Those and the gut packing are what your corals are eating, not the rotifer so much. Other then those two items there's no compelling reason not to grown them (and not use RF).

Be sure to use them right after harvest though as they process their gut contents very rapidly.

tuberider said:
Awwllllright, who's gonna start growing rotifers?

Fed-Ex is delivering my rotifer starter kit tomorrow. Though with my small tank I'm just planning on growing them in a 2 gallon bucket rather than a 5. Am I the only one giving this a try?

jugato said:
tuberider said:
Awwllllright, who's gonna start growing rotifers?

Fed-Ex is delivering my rotifer starter kit tomorrow. Though with my small tank I'm just planning on growing them in a 2 gallon bucket rather than a 5. Am I the only one giving this a try?

Once my tank has water in it I plan on ordering my kit...

jugato said:
Am I the only one giving this a try?

I grew rotis for my clown fry. Lasted quite a while because my first few batch of eggs did not hatch. I found it was a lot of work. I made up two buckets and I found it hard to get the right balance of roti population. One bucket crashed. I also kept it in the garage, so I had heaters and I air lines going over buckets of rotis and tanks of fry.

I thought of making a more efficient setup, but nah.

I do plan on doing it again because I would like to raise another batch of clowns.

Back