Cali Kid Corals

BAR members only swap August 13th @ Chabot College

Bay Area Reefers Summer Members Only Swap
The BAR Members frag swap is intended to promote the propagation, sharing and ‘backing up’ of corals within the reefing community. In this event, BAR values a spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all its participants.

This swap is open to all BAR members and you are encouraged to join us.

To participate in the swap you must meet our lenient criteria:
Current paid member by 07/01/11

Never been to a swap before?

No problem! We have a newbie welcoming committee that will be there to help. There will even be a newbie's corner with discussions designed to improve your reefing skills.

How the swap will work

• Corals will be placed on tables with a family of corals (I.E. Zoas, soft corals, LPS, SPS - sticks, SPS - plates, other)

• You will receive a name tag with a group letter

• letters will be called in this order: A;B:C:D;E;F;Z;Z;F;E;D;C;B;A;A...

• When your group letter is called, in the first round, you will have a few minutes to select a coral

• Successive rounds will be shorter and you will be able to grab more corals.

“That sounds neat, how do I participate?”

•Show up for Registration 11:00-12:30

•Bring three or more different strains of coral

Important Information

•The swap will be held on August 13th, the specific location on campus is being determined currently, stay tuned.
•Chabot College charges $2 for parking. you will need to purchase a daily permit from of the machines in the parking lots.

•Swap registration is 11:00-12:30, anyone coming late to check in automatically is placed into the final picking group

•The swap starts at 1:00 hard

•The raffle will be held during the swap, so keep your ears open, although winning numbers will remain posted after they’ve been called

•We ask that you package your corals in deli containers similar to these, or these NO ZIPLOCK BAGS. Not only can you see the corals better, they do not leak all over the place so we can return to Chabot for future swaps. If you show up with substandard packing you will be asked to purchase deli containers and repackage and label your corals. There are some handy frag packing tips in This Thread, feel free to add any suggestions.

•All containers shall be labeled with the coral type, your name and internet handle and growing conditions if they are not labeled you will be required to label them on the spot, see This Thread for pre-made blank BAR Avery labels

•There will be food and beverages available for purchase during the event

• Any corals that are deemed unhealthy or freshly fragged will not qualify you for the swap, it is against our mission to reward poor propagation techniques.
•There will be a raffle of items donated by our sponsors. Tickets will be on sale at the event. $20 buys you as many tickets as $20 buys you!

One last thing

Please treat all corals that you pick at the swap as if they are infected with the worst pests known to man, dip your corals with the povidone provided for free at the swap or your favorite coral dip. Not only does dipping help to prevent pests from making their way into your tank, it can help to prevent the spread of nuisance algae as well as keeping the instances of necrosis to a minimum.

Non-Qualifying Corals

*these organisms have been deemed too common in the hobby. They will be placed on a separate table from other corals at the swap. If you only bring non-qualifying coral that are on this list you will be restricted to only picking from the common table for the first two rounds.

Green Star Polyp (GSP)
GreenStarPolyp.jpg

Brown Protopalythoa (sea mat)
19.jpg

Xenia
Xenia-pompom.jpg

Anthelia

Anthelia400.jpg

Encrusting Gorgonian (brown GSP)

Encrusting.jpg

Kenya Tree

chimage.jpg

Colt Coral

colt2.jpg

Brown Toadstool Leather

toadstool01.jpg

Macroalgae (California legal varieties)

For those of us that are newbs, I assume that we can attend the swap and just not participate if we don't have anything to swap with yet, correct? I've never been to a swap and I'd like to check it out and also see what's going on over in the newbie corner.

~Charlie

I would say that is correct...there usually is a freebie table too and you can particate in the raffle if you like too.

That's cool. I don't have lighting yet so I'll probably refrain from the freebie table too. I've been waiting on the Kessils but the release date is very illusive :) I have a couple of other issues I was hoping to ask about in the newbie corner as well.

~Charlie

Thales said:
Boo! Gotta miss it...wife's birthday party. Everyone have a great time!

At least this time you didn't use my excuse... I have to wash my hair that day :D

Psshs yah right... it's mani and pedi that day... remember? I have it penciled in ;)

I will have 5-6 kenya tree and xenia frags for the newbie/freebie table. I will probably have a couple of containers of stomatella snails and several types of discosoma mushrooms (fragging them onto fresh pebbles in the next few days).

Hey...I got some corals I will be donating (just as long as Jeremy don't get them... :p ) for the event. If I can make it to the swap, I'll bring them with me. Otherwise, make sure someone hit me up the day before the swap?

Aww sounds exciting!! Is there a reason you can only come if you became a member by July 1st? I won't be swapping (don't currently have any corals) but wanted to come just to learn from all you crafty coral veterans. I became a member a bit late... around July 8th or so I believe. Any way I can make it?

Back