BAR on Facebook

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Dyngoe, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Hey All,

Like most of you I feel that BAR forums, RC, Marine Planted Tank, Reefs.org and the rest are just NOT enough for us! ;D So, I thought I might build a FaceBook group for us. I hope this doesn't upset the powers that be. ;) So, if you'd like to join me on Facebook, the group can be found in searches and (I believe) through this link:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36312865658

I look forward to seeing how many of us are on Facebook.

2. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

facebook...myspace...the devil's work!!!!

BURN THE WITCH!!!

/breath

Sorry that I wont be joining you, but I applaud your efforts at getting the name out eve more :-D

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Does this mean I need to post pictures of myself drunk in various states of undress?

4. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Please don't Mike :)

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Ugh what a waste of time. I for one wish you wouldn't.....and if you do I'll just find a club that isn't and move along!

6. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Gresham, are you saying you will leave BAR if I build a Facebook page? That's a lot of annymosity towards Facebook. Why all the hostility?

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Where do you come up with me being hostile towards faceBook? I just don't want to support a club that goes down that avenue. It's simply not my cup o tea.

8. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Oooooohhhhh......So, it's not that you don't like facebook but people/clubs who are on facebook? ;)

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Didn't day that either. You sure like to put words in my mouth. It's not my cup of tea, leave it at that.

10. ReeferGirl

ReeferGirl Guest

networking is a good thing! I hope you dont leave, Gresham. I haven't even gotten to meet you yet. :(

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Question that has been posed since BARE turned into BAR.....

What purpose does it serve to grow the club? Larger events will require new places and are much harder for the BOD to handle.

What do you want out of FaceBook? Other then the obvious "networking" answer that is always given :D

I'm not against networking, ask anyone that knows me....it's something I excel in and has been apart of my job for the last 5 jobs I've held :)

12. Elite

Elite Guest

Hey Matt,
    If you're bored, you can help me build a website ;D .. I need a "family" website to post picture and stuff :D ..

13. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Sorry Gresham, this is TOO perfect:
    Apart - not taken into account or excluded from consideration ::)

Eats shoots and leaves.

I love how small differences in writing can make such a big difference. ;D

Phong, I can easily give you the makings for a family website. I had one running for a while. I've since turned over control to my wife and Facebook.

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Yur englrsh corectios are uselsss agnst me :)

15. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

ZOMG! WTFUXOR IZ GOIN ON N HERE?

16. Elite

Elite Guest

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4419.msg53753#msg53753 date=1219786345]
    [/quote]

Don't make me write in VNese ;D

17. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4419.msg53737#msg53737 date=1219782215]
    Question that has been posed since BARE turned into BAR.....

What purpose does it serve to grow the club? Larger events will require new places and are much harder for the BOD to handle.

[/quote]

Does the BOD limit membership or have any policies in place to limit membership?

The addition of Facebook does not necessarily mean we need to add members and grow, it could serve simply to strengthen the existing community.

also, the BAR mission statement is: "to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life" and the people that are most of need of eduction are the newbies (ie new members). I know its not fair for me to say BAR should grow, since my contribution to the club is very limited and it would only be fair if I was willing to pick up the extra work associated, but isolationism as a policy doesn't seem to fit the mission.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious what the vision BOD and long term goals of BAR. Hopefully a few of the BOD will chime in, I'm really curious.

Cheers,

Josh

PS: Do we do an annual report of members, participation, policy, costs, budgets etc?

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

To reply to your PS first.... you are welcome to attend any and all BOD meetings to gather the info you seek as they are open to all members :) All accounting is posted on this forum. All policies aka by-laws are also found on this site.

I can't answer the rest as it's been a few years since I was on the BOD. I can say it's not easy finding places to accommodate meetings, well, besides Max's insane offer to hold them at his place (The Aquarium Showroom) :)

19. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

You can find budget info posted by Bryan here:
    http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?board=29.0

And the policy in general are here
    http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?page=16

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4419.msg53764#msg53764 date=1219791393]
    [quote author=Gomer link=topic=4419.msg53753#msg53753 date=1219786345]
    [/quote]

Don't make me write in VNese ;D
    [/quote]
    Don't make me try to read it as you never know what I'll think it said :)