BAR on Facebook

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Dyngoe, Aug 26, 2008.

1. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Yep. All of the financial info is posted every other month to the club financial forum. Will happily discuss it with any member interested. I try to post some of the highlights as well in my post text. Would be happy to know people are actually reading it and it is worthwile. Sometimes I wonder if I am just posting for myself.

I too would encourage you to come to a BOD meeting, we are about to go through elections for the new year shortly and I am sure some of these issues will be widly talked about in the next and coming meetings. The club direction and/or mission isn't something you will likely get an opinion on from a single BOD member. The reason we have BOD meetings is for just these types of reasons as it is not up to a single one of us to speak for the club in general moreso it is important that we make decisions as a team especially on very large issues like vision and long-term direction.

2. Thales

Thales Past President

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4419.msg53773#msg53773 date=1219801253]

Does the BOD limit membership or have any policies in place to limit membership?

The addition of Facebook does not necessarily mean we need to add members and grow, it could serve simply to strengthen the existing community.

also, the BAR mission statement is: "to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life" and the people that are most of need of eduction are the newbies (ie new members). I know its not fair for me to say BAR should grow, since my contribution to the club is very limited and it would only be fair if I was willing to pick up the extra work associated, but isolationism as a policy doesn't seem to fit the mission.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious what the vision BOD and long term goals of BAR. Hopefully a few of the BOD will chime in, I'm really curious.

Cheers,

Josh

PS: Do we do an annual report of members, participation, policy, costs, budgets etc?

[/quote]

As 'continuity' guy, I'll chime in!

The long term goals for BAR in regards to membership have changed several time with different versions on the BOD. Sometimes, growing the club has been a priority (more people good!), and sometimes getting away from focusing on newbies has been a priority (there are all ready tons of resources for newbies on the web and newbies can take a ton of time, and the reasoning was/has been that BAR can help newbies, but seeking them out takes away resources that could be used to found programs like DBTC). The pendulum has swung both ways and I think right now we are in the middle of a swing. There is nothing in place that supports isolationism as a policy.

There are clubs that, as part of their club goals, try to grow their membership, and that mostly means marketing to newbies. BAR has become more interested in creating good, long term programs instead of focusing on growth for growths sake.

IMO, the long term goal of the club is to keep the club running and growing our programs without burning out people who do a lot of the work in making things happen. :D

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

so growth can not exceed volunteer power?

4. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Rich, Gresh, you gots it :D

5. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

yeah we all agee! I for one am for growth but not at the expense of the club workings. I say word of mouth is the best way to grow the club.

6. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

word up, that seems to make a lot of sense on the policy end of things.

So back to Facebook. Can't we just restrict the group to members only? I think with the new privacy settings you can set it so only invited members can see it.

7. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Well, glad to see the topic getting back on track. The group right now is only available by approval. Anyone can see the group, but you can't join unless you are approved. If you have never tried FaceBook, I encourage eneyone to give it a go. I'm not "in love" with it, but it has many nice features that forums don't allow.

8. badbread

badbread Guest

I'm in, Jason B

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

So in other words you went ahead and built it?

Again, slightly off topic but i am truly intersted....

Just wondering whats next....we first had Friendster but that got old. Then Myspace but that got too Megan's Law creepy so everyone went to Facebook. Where yah all going after this? Is there another up and coming "social networking" service out there? I guess i could ask one of the numerous male whores I know that use FaceBook as their stomping ground :)

10. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Gresham, I built the group even before I brought it up here. ;)

Personally, and professionally, I like LinkedIn. I find Facebook a lot less annoying than MySpace and it provides me an easy way to keep in contact with old friends and family. But, if you are asking, the future of out-there communication is probably IMVU. It's like SecondLife for Generation Y&Z.

BTW, you are correct on the male whore comment. I too have friends who use FaceBook as their personal "SwingTown".

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

My friends get flown all over the US by :D One guy is gone every weekend :)

12. Thales

Thales Past President

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=4419.msg53837#msg53837 date=1219867325]
    If you have never tried FaceBook, I encourage eneyone to give it a go. I'm not "in love" with it, but it has many nice features that forums don't allow.
    [/quote]

What features? We have purposely turned off a lot of the features of this BB, but that can be changed. A ton of additional features are pretty easy to install as well, so what are you looking for?

My concern about facebook is that we just got rid of RC to, among other reasons, make club information and communication available in one place so adding another place for clubish stuff dilutes the community.

13. MontanaBay

MontanaBay Guest

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=4419.msg53850#msg53850 date=1219871308]
    BTW, you are correct on the male whore comment. I too have friends who use FaceBook as their personal "SwingTown".
    [/quote]

So BAR Facebook Group is going to turn into a swingers club?!?!

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4419.msg53857#msg53857 date=1219873642]
    [quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=4419.msg53850#msg53850 date=1219871308]
    [/quote]

So BAR Facebook Group is going to turn into a swingers club?!?!
    [/quote]

Yup :) And since BAR is like what, 90% male count me out of your sausage fest :p

15. ReeferGirl

ReeferGirl Guest

i know.. whats up with that? we need more ladies! :D

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

this hobby in general is very male driven. I really can't tell you why though.