Cali Kid Corals

BAR Regional Frag Swap - March 9th @ Chabot College

cbrennan4 said:
I recently did some trimming of my GSP rock(have about a softball sized clump) and was wondering if anyone would want it or if there is a table I can put it on and a newbie can grab it? Also, looking forward to the swap!

There will be a newbie table for non-elligible corals and GSP has always been grabbed in the past. See you there!

PayPal options have been updated. Only late registrations are accepted moving forward.

Register late if you haven't already so that you won't have to pay $30 at the door! See you all this Saturday.

mediumrare said:
Im trying to bring a few more than the minimum (my system has only been running full on for 3 months) but the one frag that i have that is small is of a pavona coral. Its the thin broad kind and is super hard to frag..it just breaks up into small pieces. I managed to get two half inch pieces on one plug. The other frags im bringing are bigger of course!

Pavona can be challenging to get a clean cut but it grows rather quickly. It is a nice thought to have filled up the plug! :)

mstansbery said:
Long time lurker first time poster. Im hoping to attend this event and was wondering about the guidelines for quality across the different species lines.

Can someone help clarify?

Glad you can make it out to the swap! Without getting into specific types of corals, basically the goal is to ensure your frag is healthy enough to be successful in the recipient's tank. The corals should be encrusting the plug (not still healing from a fresh cut) and pest-free, with no tissue recession, bleaching, infections, , etc.

clownucopia said:
I would love your GSP and I was wondering if you need to pay the non-member fee for a guest not participating.

The more the merrier! :D Your guest is certainly welcome to spectate, however we ask that if your guest is not participating in the swap to please be respectful and exercise moderation in taking any items from the freebie table.

mstansbery wrote:

Long time lurker first time poster. Im hoping to attend this event and was wondering about the guidelines for quality across the different species lines.

Can someone help clarify?

Glad you can make it out to the swap! Without getting into specific types of corals, basically the goal is to ensure your frag is healthy enough to be successful in the recipient's tank. The corals should be encrusting the plug (not still healing from a fresh cut) and pest-free, with no tissue recession, bleaching, infections, , etc.

Thanks but yeh I got that!! lol Im asking about quality in terms of lineage and/or desirability. Most of what I have is lineaged and has a minimum "price point." I just want to make sure I'll be trading with equally desirable and valued corals!

-Is anyone bringing chalices, and other LPS, or high end Z/P's? -Maybe I should reserve trading to individuals?? Is that acceptable at this swap??

mstansbery said:
Thanks but yeh I got that!! lol Im asking about quality in terms of lineage and/or desirability. Most of what I have is lineaged and has a minimum "price point." I just want to make sure I'll be trading with equally desirable and valued corals!

Aha - got it. Unlike swaps held by some other clubs, BAR swaps do not make a distinction based on market value of the corals. Sorry for misinterpreting the question - when I think quality frag, my first thought is healthy, and not LE. :)

lattehiatus said:
mstansbery said:

Aha - got it. Unlike swaps held by some other clubs, BAR swaps do not make a distinction based on market value of the corals. Sorry for misinterpreting the question - when I think quality frag, my first thought is healthy, and not LE. :)

I hear ya David! So with regard to side/individual trades...are they ok?? Im still not sure if I'll be able to make this but I hope I can swing it!

Is Green Implosion Paly considered a brown protopaly and thus not a qualifying frag?

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=10576

2vuc2si.jpg

Thanks
James

jctse said:
Is Green Implosion Paly considered a brown protopaly and thus not a qualifying frag?

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=10576

2vuc2si.jpg

Thanks
James

Technically, I'd say no. In the spirit of things, you'll have to answer that for yourself. The non-qualifying list is basically to keep plain Jane, very prolific and very widely distributed plague corals off the trade tables.

mstansbery
Trading should be absolutely fine, given trades deals are worked out ahead of time. Also for the sake of the swap might want to start a new thread for any potential trading.

As to the quality of what goes into the swap, it can vary from year to year, and while the majority of stuff isn't by any means "lineaged" there often is some that is. Now whether or not the stuff would appeal to you is another matter all together.

If you're going into this swap with the expectation to come out with a bunch of "lineage" corals though you might be disappointed, while I have in the past seen for instance Bubble Gum, Golden Eye, Miami Hurricane, and many other silly named chalices they do often go early so if you're picking group is later you may miss out on the "cherry" stuff. As mentioned the purpose of this swap is not so much to get "equal trade" for what you have as it is to share what we have.

jctse
I have to say your picture looks more like the brown ones under heavy blue/actinic light, where as the picture in the link does look a bit different.

I have brown ones that stuck in my frag tank under nothing but blue LEDs actually turned aqua/green as the primary color (even in regular light) unfortunately I can't seem to kill them suckers off! Chip them off the rock, and there's a tiny piece of foot I miss and sure enough I don't notice it until a minicolony is back!!!

Hi i am a newbie i will be starting my first saltwater tank next week. I would like to check out the frag swap and get to know more about bay area reefers.

since i will not bring any frags and participate in the frag swap do i still need to purchase the ticket just to check it out?

thank you

Michael K

HI! I've been meaning to register and this event (and the 10% discount at my lfs)made it too hard to say no.

So I'm really excited about this event this weekend but I am a noob in the sense that I don't have anything to frag (Tank is 7 months old). Unfortunately my space monsters and utter chaos' have not sprouted enough little ones to frag up and share in the past 3 weeks I've had them.

Where would my contributions be most useful? Bringing some "cheaper" frags from my LFS for the noob table? Or bringing some better frags so I can sit at the "adult table"? I just rather not go to my LFS buy $100 of frags that me as a new comer would see as cool but is viewed like a weed by more seasoned reef keepers. Will I be fine as long as I stay away from the "forbidden" list?

Cheers!

mstansbery said:
So with regard to side/individual trades...are they ok?? Im still not sure if I'll be able to make this but I hope I can swing it!

It's certainly your prerogative if you want to make arrangements for trades during the swap. :) sfsuphysics had some good pointers. Hope you are able to make it on Saturday!

Swine said:
HI! I've been meaning to register and this event (and the 10% discount at my lfs)made it too hard to say no.

So I'm really excited about this event this weekend but I am a noob in the sense that I don't have anything to frag (Tank is 7 months old). Unfortunately my space monsters and utter chaos' have not sprouted enough little ones to frag up and share in the past 3 weeks I've had them.

Where would my contributions be most useful? Bringing some "cheaper" frags from my LFS for the noob table? Or bringing some better frags so I can sit at the "adult table"? I just rather not go to my LFS buy $100 of frags that me as a new comer would see as cool but is viewed like a weed by more seasoned reef keepers. Will I be fine as long as I stay away from the "forbidden" list?

Cheers!

We will have another frag swap in six months for club members, which is ample time to propagate the pieces you have now, so please feel free to come out this Saturday to get a feel for how the swap works. It could be a fun time just perusing the corals and chatting with all the reefkeepers. :) Purchasing frags in order to participate in the swap is discouraged, as the goal is to share with other hobbyists the corals you are successful with.

lattehiatus said:
We will have another frag swap in six months for club members, which is ample time to propagate the pieces you have now, so please feel free to come out this Saturday to get a feel for how the swap works. It could be a fun time just perusing the corals and chatting with all the reefkeepers. :) Purchasing frags in order to participate in the swap is discouraged, as the goal is to share with other hobbyists the corals you are successful with.

That makes sense, thank you for taking the time to explain. Guess I'll have plenty of time to grow these out and most importantly, learn how to frag correctly! Still looking forward to it, see you all there.

Anyone heading there from SF and willing to give me a lift? Now that the date is upon us, I'm realizing I should have reserved my zipcar sooner

Back